ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 411 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#135495 01/16/03 01:27 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks for that info DJK. I know the last time I had a list from RTE that they were gradually closing down the band I transmitters (channels A, B, C). If I recall correctly, the only remaining high-power band-I transmitter was Maghera (Co. Clare). I see that RTE-1 from Maghera has now been moved up to band III (ch. E).

It does indeed seem as though in many countries the VHF TV allocation is being vacated more for government money-grabbing purposes than for real technical reasons. In the U.K. the govt. is now pressing for a move toward digital TV as fast as possible so that the spare UHF channels used only by analog at the moment can be auctioned off for yet more mobile phone usage. If that goes ahead, bands IV/V will be a complete mess here.

I've run into a couple of British tourists who have taken their UK portable to Ireland and found that reception was very poor in the popular Cork/Kerry area. Turns out, of course, that they were receiving distant UHF signals (probably Cairn Hill) and hadn't realized that they needed VHF in some areas.

Sven,
Most British-market 625-only sets are sold with just a UHF tuner, as the British VHF channels were never used for anything other than the 405-line standard. A few sets incorporating VHF tuners have re-appeared in recent years, although of course most people have no use for the VHF section here. I've also seen a few models where the on-screen menus and set-up might include VHF, but there's actually no VHF tuner fitted. Some of these have the VHF tuning options supposedly locked out and undocumented in the U.K. version of the manual, but glitches in the firmware sometimes allow someone to store a VHF channel on a preset, even though it will never work.

As for taking an old 405 (system A) receiver to Ireland, it wouldn't work anymore. For a start, system A used positive video modulation and system I uses negative (like America), so you'd never be able to get anything other than a confused mass of patterns and lines on the screen.

Some of the old British dual-standard sets were designed in such a way that they could be fairly easily modified to allow 625-line operation on VHF, however. Some were intended for the few (very few) cable systems which were used many years ago, and I don't doubt that these models were also particularly popular in the Irish Republic for the reasons outlined above.

P.S. You might find this link interesting: www.irish-tv.com

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-16-2003).]

#135496 01/16/03 01:55 PM
S
I was thinking that if you had a modern-day British PAL set that had a working VHF tuner and if you lived close enough to the Channel, you could catch the TV stations broadcast off the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Wonder if that's even possible anymore with a little bit of tinkering inside the set...if needed (and a good rooftop aerial).

Does European PAL have "Channel 1" on the dial?

American-market TV sets don't. Of course this is much easier to visualize on a conventional [real] set with physical channel selectors instead of buttons. [Linked Image]

Like this old relic:

[Linked Image from thevalvepage.com]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-16-2003).]

#135497 01/16/03 03:44 PM
T
Here in Austria we have 2 national stations and several local ones that are available on cable only. The 2 national ones are almost commercial-free (only short blocks between movies in the evening), but you have to pay for them (actually you have to pay for setting up a TV here, about 15 Euro/month, no matter if you have an antenna or not). The " national stations are ORF 1 (VHF channel 1, already answers Sven's question) and ORF 2 (UHF channel 36 IIRC). So people who only have an antenna can watch 1&2, people who want more need cable TV (ca. 150 Euro/year) or a satellite dish (cost slightly more than 1 year of cable TV). ORF 2 interferes with many video recorders that are preset to UHF 38.

#135498 01/16/03 09:14 PM
D
djk Offline
I'm not sure about the rest of the world but in Ireland due to rugged landscapes most people don't recieve their TV directly from the transmitter. There are loads of smaller relay stations all over the country filling in the gaps. So you can't say that RTE 1 is on Channel I or Network 2 is on channel J etc. It varies from place to place.

Normally you'll find RTE1 and Network 2 on VHF and possibily at 2 different locations on UHF (Same for TV3 and TG4) we seem to be in the footprint of a main transmission site and 2 relays.

As for the UK television in West Cork. That area, west cork and kerry has particular problems with UHF. There are more relays operating in the region than anywhere else and for technical reasons VHF seems to give a more reliable signal in mountanous regions than UHF although that's being fixed by just doubling the number of relays. It's nearly as bad as a cellular telephone system! Although it does give excellent reception. It's possible they needed to be on a VHF Band III channel or that they were tuning into VHF with a UHF antennaa

There is also a UHF relay (technically illegal but no politician could stop them and get elected again) "south coast community television" re-broadcasting HTV Wales, BBC wales (1/2) and Channel 4 They have a large number of UHF relays around the region but tend to require a roof mounted wideband antenna and a lot of amplification to get a good signal. A portable tv wouldn't pick up much.

one scary fact. If we disconnect all the cables from our television it still receives the four main networks (RTE1, Network 2, TV3 and TG4) in good quality!

No antenna, no cables, just from coax socket in the back! I think we're being fried by UHF / VHF tranmitters!

Typically in West Cork on UHF you'll pick up RTE1, Network 2, TV3, TG4, BBC1, BBC2, HTV and Channel 4 (the last four being illegally rebroadcast)

#135499 01/17/03 08:51 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I still have one of those "old relic" dual-standard sets sitting in my spare room!

Some models had a UHF position on the VHF turret tuner, while others had a separate changeover switch for 405 and 625. The UHF was either continuously variable, as in the set you pictured above, or came with typically 4 presets.

Re channel 1 in America, it used to exist back in the 1940s. Have a look at here .

The multitude of relay stations (transposers to left-of-ponders) in southwest Ireland is also found in parts of Britain. Over here in the east of England the landscape is relatively flat, and a few high-power transmitters provide good coverage to most areas. There are one or two low power relays, typically in the "dip" of a built-up city, but they are few. Go over to Wales (which is very hilly) and the change to UHF meant that dozens of relays had to be built to provide complete coverage.

When the VHF 405 service was closed down in 1985, there were complaints from some parts of Wales and Scotland from people who still had inadequate UHF signals.

By the way, in Britain band I (ch. 1 - 5) was used only by the BBC. When ITA (Independent TV) started in the 1950s the authorities assigned band III, although in later years some BBC stations also used band III channels.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-17-2003).]

#135500 01/19/03 09:23 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I checked the OIRT acronym that was mentioned earlier. It stands for Organisation Internationale de Radiodiffusion et Télévision.

Curious that an organization for Eastern European standards chose a French name, but maybe they thought it would be more widely understood.

#135501 02/03/03 12:12 AM
Paul,
I have heard that the old Russia, uses PAL(B/G) signals as well, I would have thought that they would have gone with the NTSC system.
Your thoughts on this. [Linked Image]

#135502 02/03/03 12:06 PM
T
Why in the world should the russians have used the "enemie's" NTSC system? It's at any rate a US invention!
I'd rather have guessed they were on SECAM eastern European.

#135503 02/03/03 04:21 PM
D
djk Offline
There's no way they'd have used NTSC I'm supprised that they didn't just invent their own totally incompatable system though. SECAM's almost too mainstream!

#135504 02/05/03 08:11 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Yes, the old USSR used SECAM, systems D and K, with the OIRT channel allocations.

I'm not sure what has happened in recent years with the former Soviet Republics which broke away, such as Latvia, Estonia, etc. They may well have taken a decision to changeover to PAL.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard