ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 438 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Apparently, they are quite good – having spoken to some who have experienced it. Having a Scottish wife, I have been exposed to their culture. As well as the Mars Bars (Snickers without nuts) they also do pizza – dipped in fish batter and deep fried – as well as haggis – dipped in fish batter and deep fried – and bananas – dipped in fish batter and deep fried. I can well imagine baked-alaska Scottish style! [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Sven,
We normally have our Fish and Chips with
Tomato Sauce, this is like Ketchup, but it has a sweeter taste.
There are some strange comments in this posting, although I have heard of the deep-fried Chocolate bars.
[Linked Image]

T
Did you know that Nordsee, a fih imbiss chain now sells fish 'n chips wrapped in special paper with newspaper print on the outside?

Trumpy Offline OP
Newsprint is the ONLY way to serve Fish and
Chips!.
Makes it all crunchier! [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Seems we've had a few new members to the ECN Forums, I would just like to re-ask this question?.
I saw a programme on TV recently, it was called Loyd On Location, it was a Foodie show, and he was in Chicago,(reputably the Steak capital of the WORLD), but the one thing that I would like to say, is that the Steaks at the couple of places(the names escape me now)where he went, were HUGE!!.
My mouth was watering alright!, Is this common fare in the US?.
If it is, I'm comin' over!. [Linked Image]

P
Pretty much so......

In a small town near to where I was (Minden, Nebraska) there was a typical old-style family diner in the town square. You could get a GIGANTIC steak with fries, hot biscuits, and all the trimmings for $5.95. [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
Hmm... Hot Biscuits?.
What are these?, I can't imagine eating cookies on the same plate as steak. [Linked Image]

P
It's another one of those terms in our "common language" which means something rather different in America than in Commonwealth countries.

The closest you might have in NZ (like the UK) is a plain scone. I'm not much of a cook, but here's a Basic Recipe .

Food is one area where terminology differs considerably, e.g. chips/crisps, jelly/jam.

Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks,
For the explanation Paul.
Just like to add that, since I originally posted this topic, I've stopped eating HOT(spicy) food, I had a feed of curry, one night a while ago and it made me ill for about a week, it was just too hot, to digest!.
Have'nt tried anything hotter than having the normal pepper on my Dinner, since then.
What a learning experience that was!. [Linked Image]
Are the curries still popular in the UK, Paul?, I read some time ago, that this was the most popular dining out meal, amongst the English. [Linked Image]

P
Yes, Indian curries are popular with some people here, and most big towns have one or more Indian "take-aways." For spicy foods, I prefer Mexican myself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard