ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
skipr,
I was reading this thread and some of you stated that there is no real edvidence of problems with harmonics. And it's just a economic theory to sell products and service. I can tell you right now that it is a very real problem, that has infected an entire high school district I work for.
Show me the documented evidence...by a qualified electrical engineer. Such problems are very rare except in the publications authored by those with an economic interest in solving the problem.
The electrical system has caused major problems on equiptment. And I personally discovered the building steel has been acting as the neutral
That has nothing to do with harmonics...there is a design or installation flaw on the system.
Some have even gone further and run a extra green wire (w/yellow stripe) for isolated ground.
What does that accomplish?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
If I go through the trouble to gather the documents you request are you still going to argue to facts? If so it's a waste of my time. As for the iso-ground. I have no idea what good it does, I just seen some of the "engineered" blueprints. And the system flaw was the fact that thousands of T8 ballast were installed. There was no flaw from 1963 to 2000. We can argue about this till the end of time, but why? I seen the problem, I seen the reports, I seen the results after we corrected problem. Why do I care if you don't believe me?

R
skipr,
I seen the problem, I seen the reports, I seen the results after we corrected problem.
Did you also correct the neutral/ground problem at the same time?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
T
Don
I did have a much smaller power quality problem that I traced to the same two villains at the Integrated Power Corporation Plant in Frederick, Maryland during the early nineties. The two villains I am referring to are disparate grounds and triplen harmonics.

The disparate grounds were at the electrical and telephone entry points. In spite of the fact that both grounds had been lugged to the building steel I could measure a difference of over twenty volts between the two grounds and the plant was suffering telephone equipment failures. Once I bonded the two grounding points together with a copper conductor that was big enough to be the GEC for the building service the voltage went to zero and the telephone equipment failures ceased.

The triplen harmonic problem was limited to branch circuits serving research work stations. The loads were computers, inverters under development and laboratory test equipment. By using both Fluke and Tektronics test equipment I was able to demonstrate to the companies Electrical Engineers that there were substantial measurable harmonic currents in the bench branch circuits. The total of those currents did not seem to cause any overheating of the panels or transformers but it did cause excessive voltage drop on a few research bench branch circuits. By running separate branch circuits in type MC cable for those outlets and upping the wire size one gage the problems went away. The problems they were having were unstable test equipment because of high noise levels on the grounds and breakers opening on overload while supplying inverters under test. No change was made in the breakers. I didn't install isolated grounds even though they were all the rage at the time.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard