ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#129669 07/02/05 05:55 AM
P
poorboy Offline OP
If you have a 10 foot high by 24 inch diameter concrete light pole base, 1 inch anchor bolts sunk into it a couple feet, and 7 feet of the base below grade, what is the actual mentality behind driving a groud rod next to it and having a #6 ground wire to the pole. Is it because the connection obtained by tightening down the 4 large nuts onto the steel or aluminum light pole is not a real good connection, or that the 2 feet of anchor bolt is not deep enough into the concrete, or that concrete is not a good earth ground? I have seen specs before where a copper ground wire was to be connected to rebar in the concrete base,to cover this, is that as good as a ground rod? (and what would be the best way to connect to the rebar?)

There is an equipment ground already in the conduit, so is this local rod to dump lightning or what?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129670 07/02/05 03:57 PM
L
I have done many projects just as you described. The specs for the jobs always call for the ground rod. I always assumed that it was for lightning protection.

Connecting to rebar - try exothermic welds.
I use " cadweld"

Ken

#129671 07/05/05 10:13 PM
Personally I'd never use the rebar in a concrete pole as a Grounding conductor.
The chemicals in concrete can rust away steel rod without it being noticed.
Besides, copper is a much better conductor.

#129672 07/09/05 04:42 PM
Broom Pusher and
You know who this topic reminds me of?

Good 'Ol Benny!

He posted a detailed message - somewhere, some time ago, which covered the reasoning behind additional "semi-deep" Earthed Electrodes at Lighting Pole Standards' base assemblidges.

It also addressed the reasoning behind why NFPA views it as a Separate Structure (a Concrete Lighting Pole Base) and worthy of a supplimental Electrode.

I just have no idea whatsoever, where this message is located, whaddaheck the topic's name is, even which forum it was posted!

Made a pasted text file copy of the post, and guess what... I don't know where to find it either!
D'Ohh!!! [Linked Image]

(Me Thinking):

Is it on this machine... maybe it's on one of the drives of the server?... maybe at work... or on the backup machine???... maybe it's on one of the 1,024,056 floppy disk archives?... maybe in a Zip Archive somewhere... maybe on a CD-R, or maybe it's......... did I make a hard copy?...

Shedding a slight tear for the departed Benny.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard