ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12952 08/22/02 10:55 AM
C
C Wyatt Offline OP
Hello,

Found your BB today. Lots of information here so I figured this would be a good place to maybe get some answers.

Will try to keep it concise. :]

First off, I'm 41 and live in the state of Alabama. After HS I attended and graduated from a local trade school and got a diploma from a 2 year course in HVAC. Then I went to work at a local plant as an AC Technician.

The HVAC schooling taught me a lot of Electrical for troubleshooting HVAC equipment, so naturally (with the aid of the resident Electrician) I started doing electrical work not directly related to the HVAC equipment in the plant. Eventually (after 2 years) I filled his shoes at the plant when he left (for a better position). The guy was sharp and taught me a lot.

Well, since that first plant, I've been an "electrician". I've never needed a Journeyman or Master's Licence to get and hold a job. All I've had to do was show the head of maintanance what I could do and was hired. My primary strength is electrical conrtols (PLC and relay).

I've come to a point where I'd like to become a "real, certified, licenced by the state," Electrician who can do residential side work. In our state a licence is not required if you work outside of the city limits.

I want to be able to do good work anywhere I want.

What I'd like to know is is there a way for me to become "legit" without having to enroll in a full time 4 year aprenticeship program? Like a study program? Sally Struthers mail order deal? :]

Excuse my ignorance, but, since I started working almost 20 years ago I've worked mostly alone. I don't have elctrician compadres to tutor me on this subject, so any info would be a help. Those that I've asked in the past always seemed tight-lipped about the subject.

Thanks.

#12953 08/22/02 11:17 AM
C Wyatt,

Perhaps a letter from your Employer outlining your responsibilities over the past XX years would qualify you (as work experience) to take the exam. Ask them.

Look here for contact info:

Good Luck,
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-22-2002).]

Bill
#12954 08/22/02 12:48 PM
C
C Wyatt Offline OP
Bill,

Bookmarked the link you provided.

I've got 2 former employers that will give a reference. Hopefully a good reference. :]

I've got the NEC and one of the recommended readings in the list. Need more, looks like.

-Chuck

#12955 08/22/02 01:42 PM
Chuck,

You can check here too for more materials. (our store) [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#12956 08/22/02 02:39 PM
C
C Wyatt Offline OP
Will be about a month before I can splurge on some more reading materials, but I'll book mark it too.

Nothing wrong with a little capitalism, there Bill. :] Hope to master that too one day.

Thanks.

#12957 08/22/02 02:53 PM
>>
Hope to master that too one day.
<<

I'll second that.
[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard