ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#128993 06/20/04 12:32 PM
I
I original posted because I do not believe that in circumstances I presented with the burnt ground, that a rod would not of prevented this, but proper bonding of the service entrance neutral or ground, to the cabinet and disconnect would have.
Agree or disagree?

I do not believe a ground rod would have done anything for you.

Would proper bonding of one service have protected the other?

Hard to say,no reason the bonding for one service would be large enough for the other service. One service might be 100 amps and the other 600 amps.

Also these services came from separate transformers so whatever bond wire between them on the primary side may not be large enough to carry the full secondary current.

JMO hopefully others will jump in. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#128994 06/20/04 12:55 PM
A
ayrton Offline OP
The ground rod is my point. I fail to see its need for service bonding. Electricity will not travel miles throught the ground with all the different resistance back to the source, when it will takes its quickest, least reisitive path. Agreed??
I think someone mentioned dissapate. It wont dissapate. Physics proves electrons travel in lets say a loop. What leaves comes back in full. Cannot see current traveling through rock dirt, fill whatever, when a system is properly bonded at the enclosure, it should travel back through the grounded service conductor.

#128995 06/20/04 01:16 PM
I
Here is a graphic from the handbook that labels the conductors of a grounding electrode system.

[Linked Image]

A ground rod by itself can become very important if you have a primary voltage conductor fall across the bare neutral of a triplex heading toward a building.

In that case the voltage might be 7000 volts or more to ground.

A 25 ohm ground rod with a 7000 volt fault to it will result in 280 amps of current flow, (forgetting about the POCOs grounding resistance) well above the primary overcurrent protection device.

In that case the ground rod would aid in the opening of the primary overcurrent device.

Then there is some added protection from lightning strikes.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#128996 06/20/04 01:28 PM
B
There are a few cases where a "25 ohms" ground at the service entrance can be useful. Consider a "line cross," or primary-to-secondary fault in a distribution transformer. For a 13.8KV circuit, you may expect to see ~8kV-to-ground on the low-voltage service-entrance wiring. 8000V/25 ohms = 320A, which should be able to operate some upstream 13.8kV overcurrent devices. Distribution-switching transients and indirect lightning hits can force significant current through a 25-ohm "made electrode."

No question that concrete-encased steel or significant underground bare-metal piping can beat out 25 ohms for "better" grounding electrodes, but 25 ohms may be useful in some caes. Always consider properly-sized bonding as a good means of limiting potential difference between exposed conductive electrical-enclosure surfaces.

One plug... IAEI Soares Book on Grounding—even a used copy—is well worth having for code-based grounding concepts and practicalities. [Also, the 1954 R H Kaufmann AIEE paper is excellent for detailing real, high-current tests of AC fault-current propagation that much of present codes are based on.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-20-2004).]

#128997 06/20/04 06:13 PM
Bjarney,
Is the resistance of 25 ohms a standard figure in the US?.
It sounds quite high, compared to a maximum Electrode + Ground Lead resistance value of 1 ohm combined, given in our Regulations.
Mind you, our TN-C-S system relies on high Fault currents to disconnect faulty circuits in under 0.4 seconds. [Linked Image]

#128998 06/20/04 07:13 PM
B
Trumpy, that is a good question. I have searched for an answer in earlier IEEE and AIEE Transactions {the predecessor to IEEE} and found no history, other than the nominal "25 ohms" has been used for many decades. I believe that particular benchmark/default value of resistance is listed in the 1953 National Electrical Code Handbook, and I don’t think it was new then. Mind you, it is supposed to be a absolute maximum, but there is no specific code requirement that every electrode or ground grid be tested after installation.

Nowadays in the NEC, two driven rods suffice for a grounding electrode without testing. In parts of the continent, it is a very hard number to achieve, where in other places, one driven rod tests suitably low. {Often the very desirable “Ufer ground" re-bar with concrete encasement is acceptably and consistently low regardless of weather and soil conditions.}

Other E-C.net members here have reported that some areas of Canada routinely use [nonferrous?] buried-plate electrodes as a alternate to rods.

#128999 06/20/04 07:27 PM
B
Just as a point of reference, last time I checked the driven galvanized pipe that is my electrode at the service panel [from 1935?] reads about 65 ohms with the plumbing/water-pipe bond isolated, but the steel casing on the water well with static water at around 70 feet measures about 2 ohms using a conventional Biddle “3-lead”/fall-of-potential test set.

There is a 1970 paper ieee-pcic.org/archive/fagan_lee_paper.pdf that is sort of a followup to George Ufer’s earlier work.

At a new public-school building once, a contractor wanted a test on a driven rod, which measured about 22 ohms. He thought that may be ‘too close’ to 25 ohms and likely the inspector would accuse him of “fudging the numbers,” so he used a bucket of water to soak the two test electrodes. Then, he blew a gasket when the retest reading increased to about 23 ohms(!)

#129000 06/20/04 07:34 PM
I
I only choose 25 ohms for lack of a better figure.

The NEC uses 25 ohms as a cut off point for requiring a second ground rod.

That said once you add a second rod there is no requirement to achieve any amount of resistance.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#129001 06/23/04 12:20 AM
Broom Pusher and
Looking at the replies so far in this thread, it would be very redundant for me to reply also! (yet here I am replying! [Linked Image]...)

The topic is really interesting, so if I can figure something non-boring, interesting and concise, and most importantly - get some time to do so, I would like to toss in a few additional comments to this thread.

As a side bar, here's a Pirate Joke for everyone's amusement:

Q: Where Do Pirates Take Their Vacations?

A: ARRRRRRRgentina!!!

<add cheezy drum fill>
Tatttttttttattttttttatttttt--- chhhhhing!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#129002 06/23/04 03:52 AM
P
Just to throw in a couple of alternate ideas from Merrie Olde England: [Linked Image]

On TN-C-S supplies, which are effectively like a standard American service where the house grounding system is bonded to the incoming neutral, there is no requirement here to use a local ground rod at all.

In practical terms, there's likely to be a ground connection due to the bonding of water pipes, but as plastic supply pipes are becoming more and more common even that is changing gradually.

In many rural areas of Britain we have a TT system, where there's is no neutral-ground bond, so the ground rod and earth is part of the fault path. The resistance can be considerably more than 25 ohms:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.5.2.htm

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard