ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12856 08/19/02 09:24 AM
If any of you have looked at this thread , you'll notice I raised the issue of phone sales. I thought it might be a topic worthy of a new thread. I have a few ideas, but I thought I would get your opinions first. I'm not talking about about "cold calls" (I do think cold calls should be discussed, and will insert my opinion on them later in the thread).
If you advertise, once the customer calls, how do you get them to "bite"? How do you keep records of the "call to sales" ratio? How do you know your advertisment is working?

Baiting my hook,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
B
Doc,

If you're advertising, list a special code that reflects the ad source and then have the customer tell you the special code. Make that part of your PO# or remark it somewhere so you can capture the data of which ads were effective.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 08-19-2002).]

S
>call yourself AAA electric, Ace, Acme, etc.....
>be there to answer..
>show up first.......

simplistic yet effective

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Speak to them on their own level without making them feel stupid(takes practice). Most people don't even know what a 3 way switch is, they think it means 3 switches in one box. If they don't really understand what you are talking about after they hang up they will feel uneasy about what it might cost them. Show sincerity that you are really concerned about their problem/project.
If there is a safety issue I always make them feel as if I am putting them ahead on the list even if I'm really not. Most of all, show up when you say you will.

E
I don't really advertise any more, I pulled out of all the yellow page books and that said now most of my calls are pre qualified as an easy sale. Most of the calls are from referals and past customers. I just listen to their problem and give a fair price, usually without even looking at the job. I almost think I get too many of the jobs, indicating a price hike is needed. When I get a "fresh lead" customer I find that I can get the job just by calling them back, it seems many of my competitors don't return their calls. So Just answering the phone or returning a call puts you a leg up.

S
So Just answering the phone or returning a call puts you a leg up.

same boat here......

Most people don't even know what a 3 way switch is

i refer to 'sister switch(s)....

W
Dittos Electric Eagle & Sparky!! The biggest complaint I get is that no one ever calls back when they say they will or they are ALWAYS late.
When I started out I figured if I returned calls and show up on time I would be a leg up it sure has helped. The other day I called a lady to let her know that I would be a few minutes late it really caught her off guard.

Sparky The numbers go before the letters in the phone book [Linked Image] I'm crossing my fingers that it will help when my new add comes out in a few weeks.
wirewiz

wiz, eagle, spark,

Simply returning a phone call will make a sale for you? O.K., I can buy that. My question is....when the first phone call is made, what makes them say, "I'm going to use these guy's."? The first impression has to mean everything, or does the first impression mean everything?

I caught one, and it was THIS big,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Let me continue my previous post.
IMHO, educating the customer about the things that he will be faced with when calling other electrical contractors should help give a "leg up" when it comes to making the sale. The reason that I say that is because when he hangs up with the first contractor, calls another contractor, and the things that the first contractor warns the customer about are mentioned by contractor #2, then the customer has got to think that contractor #1 was up front with him. He realizes that at least up until that point, contractor #1 has been looking out for his "best interests".
As far as educating the customer about the actual work that must be performed, over the phone, I think that it must be difficult to do without "much" experience. I'm not saying it isn't "doable", because as some have mentioned above they do it. I'm not that talented when it comes to communication over the phone, but if I could ever get with them in person, I believe that I could get them thoroughly confused. [Linked Image]

Get the net I've hooked another one,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
E
Doc,
I really don't know what it is. I think I'm generally an honest person and maybe this comes through over the phone, or maybe I'm just a good comunicator. If I do have to go to the job to give the estimate, I also almost always get the job unless the customer is looking for "something for nothing". many time this customer just doesn't understand what's involved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard