ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#127722 10/27/01 06:56 PM
P
Aw gee..... What can I say? [Linked Image]

The lightning protection angle is something that intrigues me, and something I'd like to study in more depth.

The common texts here seldom mention it, and talk about grounding mostly in terms of ground-fault protection only.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#127723 10/27/01 07:45 PM
S
Well Scott's posted some real zingers on parralleling, as well as some rather intensely in depth lightning posts.

Me being the simple tooltime ham & cheese sparky i can only speak simply on GEC's

They are a dead end, they do not complete a circuit. If there is a fault in the premisis system, the current rises a lot for a brief time until the OCPD does it's thing, there is much VD at that time. There may be a voltage on all the grounding conductors, boxes, panels, troughs, etc. for that amount of time ( trip curve here please) but the GEC is not part of this, nor does it play any real role in this as a deterent. I'm ranting i guess, chokin' on my ham & cheese.......
Mr. Moderator , a hiemlich please!!!

#127724 10/27/01 09:02 PM
S
Look here, even Mike H. is stuggling to clarify the issue;

By Mike Holt for EC&M Magazine

For over 25 years I have attempted to explain the requirements of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and I have found that the most difficult sections to explain are those that required the understanding of basic electrical principles. It appears to me that many in the electrical industry do not have a good working knowledge on the basics of current flow and the wiring methods of both the electric utility and premises systems.

I have found that the most difficult subject for people to understand is grounding as contained in the NEC for personnel protection, particularly the requirements for services, separately derived systems and separate buildings. This short article is not about grounding, but hopefully it will provide you with an overview of the electrical system from the Substation (69kV) to the load.

Point No. 1. Electrons leaving the power supply are always trying to return to the power supply, not the earth. What many fail to recognize is that the magnetic field from alternating current on the primary winding induces a voltage in the secondary conductors. This causes electrons to leave the power supply (secondary winding), travel through the load to perform a useful function, and then return to the power supply via the circuit conductors. Figure A

Point No. 2. The grounding of electrical systems for utility system is different than the requirements for premises wiring system.
Utility System Grounding - The electric utility, in accordance with the National Electric Safety Code, utilizes a 'multipoint grounded system.' This system purposefully grounds the utility neutral 4 times a mile and at every transformer or lightning protection device.

Because the utility neutral is grounded at many locations, it is in parallel with the earth. This assists in providing a low impedance path necessary to clear for a high voltage ground fault. In addition, the earth is used to stabilize the system voltage in the event the neutral is opened by equipment failure, such as a tree falling during a wind or ice storm.

Premises Wiring (Not Over 600V) Grounding - Wiring in a building must be installed in accordance with the National Electrical Code, which utilizes a 'single point ground system.' In this system, neutral current is intended to only flow on the 'grounded (neutral) conductor,' fault current is intended to flow on the 'effective fault-current path,' and the earth serves no purpose in clearing ground faults.

Author's Comment: The 'effective fault-current path' is an intentionally constructed, permanent, low-impedance path designed and intended to carry fault current from the point of a line-to-case fault on a wiring system to the grounded (neutral) at the electrical supply source. It is created when all electrically conductive materials that are likely to be energized are bonded together and to the grounded (neutral) at the electrical supply.

Grounding Summary: The utility system utilizes the earth and the multipoint grounded neutral conductor for the fault-current path, where as the premises wiring system uses an 'equipment grounding conductor' for this purpose. The earth is used by the utility system to help clear high voltage ground faults, but the earth does not assist in clearing ground-fault for systems not over 600V. Figure B

Please let me know how I can make this short one page article better, I am limited to 500 words (currently it has 525) and one graphic. But you might have an idea or comment that I should consider.

#127725 10/28/01 11:41 PM
S
Steve T Offline OP
I don't mind the references to the NEC, I just wanted to know about circuitry than code in this particular question and just wanted to be clear what my question was (very difficult to express in a bulletin board sometimes, thanks sparky!)

I tend to agree with you as the "best" location to make the GEC connection in this particular service arrangement. Also, I think it is better because if one panel is being worked on, the GEC isn't temporarily lost for even a short period of time for the rest of the working system. I know where the code requires the connection, but I may propose a local amendment for this particular arrangement of service that the GEC be made at the largest set of SE conductors.

Our utility (Com Ed, recently aquired by Exelon) does not oppose as of yet, ground connections in the meter socket. And there are manufacturer installed terminals to do just that. Com Ed does require the metersockets to be stamped CECHA approved.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard