ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 428 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
.....A French Connection......

Al

Al Hildenbrand
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Broom Pusher and
Tom,

Is this anywhere close to the circuitry?

[Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
E
Scott,

Try this one...

[Linked Image]

The common of each threeway is connected together by a conductor that does nothing else. A light or load may be mounted at either or both ends.

Al

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 11-02-2001).]

Al Hildenbrand
T
tdhorne Offline OP
pauluk
Yes you can use your left over lengths of multi wire cable and four way (intermediate) switches are fine.

Re "Additional challenge." Are we allowed to assume 4-wire plus ground cable and intermediate (4-way) switches are available in the truck?

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
P
Well, if I'm allowed 4-wire plus gnd cable, and bearing in mind this is American wiring with nice size boxes and wirenuts to hand so that splices behind a switch are easy, one way would be thus:

Starting with the cct. I described above (also sketched by Al), install a new 4-way switch at the house side door and run a 4-wire (plus gnd) cable back to the existing 3-way switch. Disconnect the wires from the 3-way pos. 1 and pos. 2 and splice to the two wires going to the new switch. Connect the two wires returning from the new 4-way into the 3-way pos. 1 & 2 terminals.

Carry out exactly the same procedure for the additional switch in the barn, running a 4-wire cable from the existing 3-way to a new 4-way switch.

If the new switches were to be ganged up with other existing switches on the same circuit, I might do it differently, depending upon the wiring already present.

E
Hmmmm, something like this. . .
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the insite, Paul.

Al

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 11-02-2001).]

Al Hildenbrand
S
Well Tom,
I'd say the crew here has done this service call justice!

cyber-high 5... [Linked Image]

T
tdhorne Offline OP
ElectricAL
Yes Al that works. What is more important is that it permits you to use the three wire plus ground cable that you are far more likely to have on the truck then four wire plus ground.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
P
Darn it..... The moment I saw Al's diagram I realized I could have changed the existing 3-ways for 4-ways and moved the 3-ways to the new positions to use 3-wire cable. Oh well, no A+ for that one! [Linked Image]

T
tdhorne Offline OP
pauluk
Live and learn old son. Your's was the method I had planned to use until I saw his diagram. I have rewired several outbuildings using the three way (UK two way) version. I have yet to have a call for the additional switches.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard