ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#127584 09/06/01 06:30 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Redsy;
no one-liner yet.....no accident either
[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#127585 09/06/01 10:08 PM
R
O.K. I stopped the truck and took a good look. One of the 3 wire on the crossarm is tapped, and right before it connects to the transformer, it seems to split into two and connects to the primary. Is it shielded cable with a grounded shield providing the 2nd connection? I will have to get pictures.

#127586 09/07/01 12:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>Is it shielded cable...?
Now I think you've hit on something!

#127587 10/05/01 12:02 AM
M
man oh man... ive never ever heard of a single primary with no neutral feeding a tx... now what you bay be thinking of here is a can grounded TX. theres only one insulator on the top of the transformer, so one leg of the primary coil is tied to the primary, the other leg is tied directally to the transformer tank, and that its bonded to the pole ground, and then the system ground. if what your saying is true, and they do use the ground as a return path, imaginw what would happen if the #6 bare copper line running down the pole in to the ground was CUT! primary voltage at your finger tips.. i DOUBT this is likley.

ever hear of 40.1 miles of underground primary run? i found out that there is such an insulation in teh florida everglades... they said it faulted about once a week...

-m

Remember when you read my posts, im only 17, still learning... "Hey, its takes what it takes!"
#127588 10/05/01 12:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>there's only one insulator on the top of the transformer
Yes, that is common.

>imagine what would happen if the #6 bare copper line running down the pole in to the ground was CUT! primary voltage at your finger tips.. i DOUBT this is likley.

The situation you describe is not as bad as if the poco grounded conductor were broken for a transformer primary wired to the poco grounded conductor.

I guess you are saying that the center tap (X0) of the secondary would be in series with the now otherwise ungrounded end of the primary (P2).

Cut the ground wire on the pole and it is still grounded at the service.

But for a system relying on the poco grounded conductor, the ground on the pole and at the service are presumed neglible.

The real answer is that current can't flow in two directions at the same time through the transformer.

The is no complete circuit.

First let's consider the set up with no magnetic field. In this case, X0, X1, and X2 all have the same potential. Even if that is primary voltage, it obviously has nowhere to go. So the measured voltage to ground or anything else is zero.

If it is not, then a magnetic field will arise in the primary and secondary coils. Say that the tranformer is a 16 to 1 step down.

Now look at the circuit with the magnetic fields standing. In order for energy to flow from P1 to P2, it must pass by X0. To the extent that it goes into the earth, 16 times as much current can flow between X1 and X2 at 1/16th the voltage -- as expected.

However, to get primary voltage to your finger tips, it must somehow travel from X0 to X1 or X2. Let's suppose that somehow it manages to get to X1. Where can it go next? It is already the same potential as X0, so it can't flow there. If it tries to flow to X2, it has to flow from X2 to X0. But it can't flow from and to X0 simultaneously. So the path is shaped like a "6". It's a dead end. There is no way to get primary voltage into the house through an undamaged transformer. Aren't we lucky?

>they said it faulted about once a week...
What kind of fault? A lightning strike?
That seems likely. But the kind of fault that requires dispatching a repair crew and digging up the wire seems unlikely.
Do you know who "they" are?

[This message has been edited by Dspark (edited 10-05-2001).]

#127589 10/10/01 12:48 AM
Broom Pusher and
This message is being posted for Allan Hildenbrand.

---Quote---

*********** Begin ************

Around here (South Minneapolis) there are a lot of single conductor ground return 8.0 KV (14 KV phase to phase) primary power company runs branching off of three wire three phase trunks. This single conductor is on an insulator on top of the pole, no cross arm, no cut-out (except at the trunk), no other wires. The primary wire is about two feet above the top of the xformer single insulator primary connection, which is done with a piece of bare #6 clamped to the primary wire. The xformer can is bonded internally to the other side of the primary winding and the can, by way of an external clamp, is connected by #4 solid down the pole to whatever earth ground connection was established by the crew that installed the pole. Below the xformer about eighteen inches is the three insulator clevis for 120/240 volt service laterals with another scrap of bare copper solid clamped to the secondary neutral and to the #4 running down the pole to the earth ground.

That's it. Probably half a million dwellings hooked up this way around this city.

Now, all those water pipe grounds and supplemental made grounds that are in the five to twenty dwellings that are connected to this one xformer make a return path to earth for the primary current that would be hard to cripple.

But the simple wood frame building in the middle of the golf course that has the only service connected to this same xformer configuration, a building that has its original pre-1965 service (no supplemental ground) in pristine condition and a building that had the plumbing repaired by a plumber that didn't replace the ground clamp after he changed the pipe...well...when the golf cart smacks the pole and breaks the ground wire, ALL of the service rises to 8.0 KV and just sits there until something or one provides a path to ground. That someone is likely to be the guy who goes to find out why the lights went out.

Al

*********** End ***********

[- Word Wrap was driving me crazy]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-10-2001).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#127590 10/10/01 06:27 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
[Linked Image]

#127591 10/10/01 08:34 AM
R
Thanks, Scott. I knew I wasn't crazy. (am i?)

#127592 10/10/01 11:43 AM
E
It gets even better!!

After I sent my comment on this thread to Scott35 yesterday, I took a walk down the alley to the pole I describe above. And what to my wondering eyes should appear but the absence of the bottom five feet of the ground wire!!!

The end of the ground wire is oxidized black, which, to me, means the cut end has had a LONG time to weather.

The xformer is a 50 KVA unit which, with an 8 KV primary voltage and 150 percent overload means the primary current is about 9.5 amps.

Al Hildenbrand

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 10-10-2001).]

Al Hildenbrand
#127593 10/10/01 11:37 PM
M
hey dspark,

a guy i work with, he does primary fault locating, hes worked with FPL for like 40 years.. he said they ran 1ΓΈ aluminum 40.1 miles from a riser to a few pad mounts.. radial feed... the guy i work with said it took something like a 45 amp fuse just to energize the cable.. anything lower and it would overload due to resistance or something.. the fuse ended up being around 100a with the pots at the end... he said there was a splice pit every 500 or so feet... thats like over 400 segments of cable... this is in the everglades too, so the cable is constantly surrounded by water... he said a few years after it was installed, it started faulting regularly once every week or 2.. and yes, a crew had to some out dig and repair...

-m

Remember when you read my posts, im only 17, still learning... "Hey, its takes what it takes!"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard