ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#125092 03/03/07 10:33 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Four months ago there was an article in the Bucks County Courier Times called "Rebuilding Levittown," and was about people buying Levitt houses and either remodeling/adding on to them, or tearing them down and starting over. (In other words, buy the house for the land.)

They're pictures of two Levittown Ranchers that are being blown up and remodeled. Elderberry Park Section, Falls Township.

Ian A.
Theelectrikid
Pic1: House one. This one started two months ago, and I'll admit, isn't too bad. It used to look the top right house in this sales ad: http://levittowners.com/history/houses/Image95.gif . Like I said, not bad, just expanding the second story. Not as bad as the next one...

[Linked Image]

Pic2/House2: Ahhh!!! This poor house had its second story completely torn down, down to the floor joists. They built a floor over the newer family room (bay window, former caroprt) and added this second story on. The chimney's even still original. This house used to look like the top left house in that advertisement:

[Linked Image]

#125093 03/04/07 12:11 AM
Thanks again Bill.

I forgot to mention, the second house took only two weeks to get to that point. And if you look closely at that photo, next to the front door, you can see a dangling 'Extension cord.' (Really an old-work box fed by a piece of 12/2.

As can be seen in the bay-windows of both houses (AKA where the carport was at one time), both jobs are permitted, although the first has a few more placards than the second.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#125094 03/04/07 07:10 PM
S
That 2nd pic is an add-a-level. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not. If you already knew that... my bad. They can be a pain in the butt sometimes depending on how many exisiting circuits need to cleaned up and/ or rerouted or eliminated. That's the REAL challenge to doing an add-a-level. Otherwise, it's just like wiring a small house.

#125095 03/08/07 11:00 PM
Shock, no I didn't know that really. (Man I love this forum!) I can see what you're getting at with rerouting circuits, especially since, at least on this model, the upstairs rooms were first on the circuit. (The houses in the pictures are Ranchers, with the service panel originally in the master bedroom closet; my house a Jubilee, with it in the garage.)

Hmm, this will be good...
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=5102146

Gotta take a detour to Cobalt Ridge tomorrow.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 03-08-2007).]

#125096 03/09/07 12:57 AM
S
Just trying to help since I've done more than a few of them and can share my experiences. The main panel will obviously have to be relocated since they are not allowed to be mounted in a clothes closet. This could be a pita depending on the budget of the job (and that's a big question mark in most cases). It may be as simple as reversing the direction of the panel from inside the closet to facing into one of the rooms on the first floor (assuming there's no basement).

To save money on labor and material, a 2nd floor sub-panel in the new addition makes sense. Usually 100 AMP, 20 circuit panel. Then the only wire you'll have to run to the old panel is the SER from the sub to the main.

From there you'll need approximately 1000' of 14/2 for receptacles and lighting circuits, 250' of 12/2 for your bathroom GFCI's, boxes, staples, wirenuts, ceiling fan braces, bathfans, 250' of 14/3 for smoke detectors and 3-way/ 4-way lighting, nailplates, radio and a good attitude and you're good to go!

For lunch I like italian sub-sandwiches with lettuce, onion, tomatoe, light on the mayo and just a little oil and vinegar so it doesn't soak the bread.

Do you mind working late? Because we got 8 other jobs just like this one and people are waiting on us to get there. [Linked Image]

#125097 03/09/07 04:53 PM
Shock, when can I start? [Linked Image]

Ian (Taking notes!) A.

#125098 03/09/07 05:30 PM
S
LOL

#125099 03/09/07 06:17 PM
Oh BTW, just saw on the news, the Extreme Home Makeover I linked, met the Caterpillar Tornado today. [Linked Image] (Knew that was coming.) Coming soon: one McMansion to Cobalt Ridge.

Edited. How can you spell 'The' wrong?

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 03-09-2007).]

Link Copied to Clipboard