ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
It is said that "seeing is believing"... well, I just finished watching the video also, and I still find this awfully hard to believe (thanks for the video). No matter how you slice it, this is just plain DANGEROUS, no matter how well the operator is protected with a rollcage, or how sharp the operator is - and that's assuming the guy knows the machine inside out and has the touch of a surgeon at the controls.

Mike (mamills)

"......Celtic
Member posted 05-01-2006 11:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the hell is he doing ???......"

My question exactly!

"Live the dream, you only get one chance."
S
There's something you don't see everyday!

J
when you think you seen it all

R
Amaazing !! I would stand well clear of this clown.

What is he trying to achieve ??

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
S
^^
A discussion thread at ECN, obviously.

T
Um, How many things do we do as electricians every day, that look awfully dangerous to someone who has never done what we do? I have a lot of respect for the high voltage guys up there in a thunderstorm with "just" rubber gloves. I would respectfully submit that the driver of this machine has a similar amount of training and respect for the handling of his job as you, and is using equipment that is just as specialized as yours.

I will garantee that the driver is belted in,and that the cab has a full roll cage and he is wearing restraint and head protection. How far can the machine fall? 14 feet max? Most the driver will get is a headache. In my experience of running rail road related machinery I have never seen a hydralic hose fail suddenly and completely, I have seen them tear, which results in a controllable release of pressure.

Yes there is a way to let the rock out the bottom of the car. (It's a ballast car by the way.) What happens if the wreck we are cleaning up has torn the right of way to one side of the rails. The dump doors just put it on the track, not to one side. The dump doors are designed to fill in between the ties, and the whole train is stuck if you get too much between the trucks and you are left with a bunch of section laborers with shovels.

This way the operator can hoik himself up on the car and put just the right amount of ballast right where it is needed. Less waste less time. There are other machines that can do this job if you have one, side dump dump trucks, side dump cars etc, but they are single use machines, rather than a backhoe that is ruggedized for this one use but still is useful for other projects. Train crews put their trains exactly where they are needed as a matter of course every day, you need one car moved six inches, no problem.

I learn alot from this site, and my quality of electrical work has gone way up from what I have learned, but lets not assume that because other industries do something we don't do, that they are just being stupid.

TW

I
The railroad is subjecting employees to unnecessary hazards to save a buck.

Does OSHA cover the railways?

Because unless the maker of the backhoe confirmed the backhoe / loader is rated as a personal lift it would be an OSHA violation on a construction site.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
Trainwire I whole heartedly agree - this looks like a reputable company with an impressive amount of equipment and experience in the rail road maintenance and construction arena. The unloader is clearly not something conjured up over a few beers one Friday evening.

The thread above made me think of the following: "Did you see that chain saw, one slip and it will cut your leg off - guess Stihl has compromised worker saftey just to make a quick buck and get the job done a few minutes sooner - what clowns - we would be better off going back to a regular hand held saw - much safer."

I
Nevermind.....

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-13-2007).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard