ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 168 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#122530 11/25/05 09:01 PM
OK, "perforated strapping tape", as it is called around here could be cited as not being listed/labeled for use in supporting electrical raceways. Now, that is stretching a bit, but a few AHJ's have written 'reds' for using it.

I, as a contractor would not allow this item. I as an AHJ, have not seen anyone use it. Would I write a 'red'; based on the above, yes. It may be "Plumbers xxx", that is NOT "Electrical xxx".

John

John
#122531 11/26/05 12:32 AM
R
John,
OK, "perforated strapping tape", as it is called around here could be cited as not being listed/labeled for use in supporting electrical raceways.
That presents a problem. Many of the commonly used conduit supports, such as strut straps, are not listed products.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#122532 11/28/05 08:57 PM
Don:
Sorry for the lag, hectic week.

OK, I am not aware of what you said....you are refering to unistrut 2 piece straps, and the Caddy items??

I'm under the impression that Caddy items are approved for support/etc of electrical items. Am I incorrect?

John

John
#122533 11/28/05 09:40 PM
Cat Servant
Hot Line, you've hit on the point of this thread..the NEC simply say to support the pipe; it does not specify how.

Now, many would say that the code needs to be more specific, that listing bodies need a wider fief; I disagree.

An AHJ, using the NECA workmansip standard as a guide, would not allow this strapping.

"Electric Work" is not just a job...it's both a SKILLED trade, and a professional. A journeyman is hired for his knowledge, experience, and judgement. You just can't get around having to make many, many judgement calls every day.

#122534 11/28/05 09:46 PM
I
John I have never seen a UL listed strut clip.

There are some UL listed strut products but they have to do with using strut as a raceway.

Reno, IMO you can not enforce workmanship, that is like enforcing good taste.

It is far to subjective of a subject.

Yes I see that strap in the photo of a poor workmanship. But I can not say it is any less safe then a mini supported by a rod.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#122535 11/28/05 10:23 PM
Ok, I took a short piece of 1-1/2" EMT, supported it with a piece of this stuff, and hung from it (200#) No problem. Used 1/4X2-1/2" lag screw at top, with washer, and 1/4-20 Stove Bolt, with washers each side, at the bottom.
For some weights of EMT & Conductors

The Powerstrut Catalog has some good application data

#122536 11/28/05 11:16 PM
S
>>But I can not say it is any less safe then a mini supported by a rod.<<

OK I'll say it, it is less safe!

The original question was never about what is Code or is this a Listed product. Put that run in a hardy quake zone... give it good 6.0 or better and it will remove the T-Bar and lights below it. Seeing how it was submitted by Reno, he lives in "Quake Country" which receives quakes all the time and is a candidate for a strong one.

Rob

#122537 11/29/05 05:47 AM
I
OK I'll say it, it is less safe!

You can say it, but you can not prove it in the least. [Linked Image]

Have you any experience supporting EMT with this perf strap?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#122538 11/29/05 10:28 AM
R
I think an AHJ could cite 300.11(A), stating that the raceway isn't "fastened in place", although I don't think I would get too excited about it.

Also, I think an AHJ could make a stretch and establish his definition of "fastened in place" as meaning secured at both ends, such as is the requirement for suspended cieling when using support wires.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#122539 11/29/05 12:34 PM
Electure;
I wondered how you were going to test the stuff - never thought you'd suspend yourself on it!!!
FYI a 1/4" bolt in single shear should safely take around 600lbf, so it's failure load is around the same magnitude as the strap. Be careful when assessing breaking loads on components like this; shock loadings, (like a falling object, or a seismic event or putting your weight on the EMT too hastily!), can generate stresses many times the apparent static stress. For instance a weight suspended a hairs breadth from a surface and allowed to drop by gravity doubles the stress momentarily, and it gets worse as the distance fallen increases.
YOU CAME CLOSE! [Linked Image]

Sorry, stress my pet subject!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard