ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Caution rantings of a renegade electrician coming up. [Linked Image]

Why is it that many electricians feel customers have an obligation to spend more money on an installation just so that when complete the electrician can say

"My what a nice job I did running that conduit."

It is not 'our' money to spend, if the customer is fine with MC then so am I, if the customer wants PVC coated RMC then thats fine too.

Work is work my pride comes from following the NEC, keeping the customers calling and more importantly bringing home a good wage to support the family.

Just like some people are happy to buy a KIA others want Mercedes, they is nothing wrong with either or the people that build them.

Climbing down now, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
I understand that reasoning iwire, but at a major hotel in Las Vegas where all the guest see it, dont you think a bit of pipe is the way to go?

Where I took these shots is right next to the main elevators of the hotel I was staying at.

I
What I think of how it looks is of no consequence, as long as it meets all codes.

It's not my building.

It's not my Hotel guests walking by it.

Would I walk by that as Hotel guest and be impressed that the Hotel went cheap?

No.

Would I install anther set of MCs right beside the existing ones if paid to?

You bet I would. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
E
Unless the guests are bunch of electricians I would bet that none would ever give this a second look and most not even a first look.

B
Unless the guests are bunch of electricians I would bet that none would ever give this a second look and most not even a first look
That's the trick, right there. As much as I don't like to admit it, I think a lot of aesthetic pride is wasted on our customers. Most people probably wouldn't notice a difference between a beautiful rigid job and a nest of smurf-tube.

-John

J
Well the way I look at it? atlease there all labled. [Linked Image]

Jimbo

M
I think a good aesthetic/budget solution here would be to make a drywall soffit over these MC/Flex cables. Now you get the economies of mc/Flex, and it looks pretty nice.

Hey, we all ove a nice rack of EMT, but it is pricey.

I
I think a good aesthetic/budget solution here would be to make a drywall soffit over these MC/Flex cables.

I agree. [Linked Image]

Hey, we all ove a nice rack of EMT, but it is pricey.

Again I agree.

I think a lot of aesthetic pride is wasted on our customers.

IMO this gets to the heart of the matter.

I would be happy if all customers allowed me install as I see fit with no concern about money, that ain't gonna happen.

If all they want is low cost code compliant installation I have no problem with that. I am happy to have the work. I do take pride in the work I do, I take more pride in providing a good life for my family.

Few ECs are in a position to only do work they want to do.

Hey, often the customers have us install ugly lighting fixtures that I would never choose, but that hardly means we tell them get some one else to do it. [Linked Image]

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
S
No way would I stay at this hotel. I don't believe in staying at hotels that wire their buildings in MC cable. For me, it's got to be E.M.T.

C
Cow Offline
Shockme

You must not stay in very many hotels then. I would think MC would be very common in hotel installations. The company I work for wired a large Amerisuites hotel entirely in MC. The majority of commercial jobs around here are done in MC.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard