ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Are the conductors in AC and/or MC marked? I've seen many mentions of folks wanting to strip the jacket off Romex and run the wires through conduit, which idea is nixed because the conductors aren't marked. Is the situation different with AC and MC? Otherwise, I don't see how one could use this fitting to transition from AC/MC to EMT.

EMT to 3/8" flex makes sense, though, to continue a THHN run into a motor whip, etc.

J
Yup, I completely missed the "fixture is not grounded" violation!

I'll accept that it's a "damp" location. I'd still want a weathertight box.

As to surface mounting that fixture to siding or timber: It's OK for the entire back of the "junction box" formed by the fixture base to be combustible? I mean, I'm sure it's done a thousand times a day, but is it a "correct" wiring method?

I have a theory: The installer intended to mount the light fixture on the box, but after he got it mounted and the conduit and Romex attached, he noticed that the screw holes were on the wrong diagonal (look at the fixture base). Instead of re-doing the box, he just screwed the fixture to the soffit, put a blank cover on the box, and said, "Yeah, I meant to do it that way."

Cat Servant
Who ever really knows what went through the mind of a hack worker?

The fixture might not have a ground lead; many such fixtures are entirely made of plastic.

Technical rules aside, I'd also like to see a weathertight box- too many times I've found standard boxes infested with spiders or wasps. Really annoying to try to take the cover off- and see multiple little legs pulling back :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard