Because a knucklehead ran off the road and through the electric pole and dropped the primary down on the telephone wire, the people who tried to call the authorities had their telephones promptly blow up. True story. happened to my boss.
ps not to mention, big sparks are fun
Re: More Stress Tests From VoltNet...#12134 08/01/0208:26 AM08/01/0208:26 AM
Hi, Guys: I particularly liked the Furby test. I hope you took time to play the short video clip that went with it. The audio portion is quite striking...(Blah, Blah, Blah...Bl -BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZ)!
...Deeply disturbing, but it's quite a way to lift your spirits!
Trainwire: Kinda interesting that you mentioned that. A similar situation occurred about three weeks ago near my house. Underaged driver, high on crack and formaldehyde (of all the ungodly things), crashed through a light pole and brought down a 12470 v. primary line and transformer bank into the middle of a major street in my town. Knocked out half power in town for about an hour, and fried the motherboard in my son's computer (smoke n' all). Pretty spectacular accident...tremendous flash of light, sparks and fire everywhere, dead transformers and wires (I hope) scattered about in the street.
I agree...big sparks are fun. :
[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 08-01-2002).]
Re: More Stress Tests From VoltNet...#12135 08/01/0209:40 AM08/01/0209:40 AM
They (probably) conducted the test improperly on the phone. Any electrical testing to phone equipment connected to outside plant wiring needs to include carbon blocks or gas tubes to ground as in a real installation. 'not saying your typical phone would survive, but it might not fail in such a spectacular manner. The 24-26 AWG wire outside the home would burn open under the stress when the carbon blocks clamp (at 200 - 600 VAC). As with the power company, the NEC is ignored by phone companies (don't expect to find fuses between the clamping devices and the outside wiring)
Re: More Stress Tests From VoltNet...#12137 08/01/0203:44 PM08/01/0203:44 PM