ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
NFPA 70 E at work, Kudos to the company this guy works for.
The only issue I have seen when wearing the proper PPE is when our guys are suited up for hot work and along comes someone from the PoCo and laughs at our guys.

Bryan L. Key
Safety Inspector/Trainer
Terry's Electric Inc.
An Xcelecom Company
600 N. Thacker Ave., Suite A
Kissimmee, Florida 34741
G
The worst 'pointing idiot' that I ever met was using his metal pen to point out live 15kV bus in a fusible switch that had the rear cover removed. I left the room after telling the boss "I don't even want to RISK doing the paperwork on this one."

Ghost307
N
I have a second hand story about people pointing. When I was taking my medium voltage certification course the instructor told this story. An engineer was on top of a very high voltage substation transformer (I don't recall the exact voltage but 138KV comes to mind) when he pointed up towards the conductors to illustrate something to the two electricians below. The resulting arc killed him and the two electricians on the ground. The point of the story was how when you get to about 5kv you do not have to touch anything to get electrocuted.

Z
How do you know exactly where to walk in a substation without dying, anyway? Are there marks on the ground, or is it all training and knowing where not to step?

Must be scary walking into one for the first time, knowing that one misstep and a few hundred KV will come out and kill you like lightning...

G
Welcome, zorinlynx;
It's extremely that you get proper training before even THINKING of going into a medium of high voltage situation. You will not get a second chance; if you are uncomfortable, don't go in the area. If your boss forces the issue, consider quitting right there. No responsible foreman would expect an untrained person to risk his life when they aren't ready to work there. I used to give tours in-house and let folks know that the guests who WEREN'T nervous about the 15kV equipment needed to wait outside. Too many people have been hurt or killed leaning on or backing into something. Remember that you need to respect electricity; it won't cut you any slack. If you get close enough (and the distance can change with the weather) it will bite you.

Also, if you work with a buddy and the flash gets you both, who's going to call for help? Always have someone outside of the 'danger area' watching your back.

Simple rules...never work alone, keep your hands in your pocket when not working, don't touch anything and don't approach unless someone standing closer to the equipment tells you to.

Ghost307
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard