ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
A friend was recently vacationing in The Dominican Republic and snapped this transformer. It was mounted 6 feet off the ground. Each different colored wire runs to a different house. Notice there are no poles. The wires are strung from tree to tree by wrapping them around nails driven into the trunk. This was the wealthy neighborhood. At least they have electricity.

Hope you enjoy the picture. Feel free to post it if you like.

Jeff G.

C
hey jeff i thought the stuff we did in the u.s. was bad [Linked Image] we don't even come close.i wonder about the poor section? [Linked Image] but 6 feet off of the ground is seriously dangerous!

G
I was in an apartment in the Phillipines one time. The electrical system for this building consisted of a cord hung on nails along one wall of the center hallway. If you wanted power in your apartment you just punched a hole in the wall and tapped into the cord.

GJ

M
The Dom-Rep, I spent 45 horrible days there in 1965, and it looks from that installation nothing has changed.
Yikes
Mark [Linked Image]

C
hey jeff , any more pictures of this system? hope you have some more. [Linked Image]

G
I've TOLD you guys before, STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD WITH YOUR CAMERAS!!!!!

GEEEEEEEEEZ, guy sets up ONE little ham station [Linked Image]

M
Jeff:
This photo gives me chills just to look at it! [Linked Image]

Have you ever had the misfortune of being near one of these things when it blows up due to a short circuit or an internal fault? I was about 30 feet away one time when one let go...darned near caused me to have a stroke. I guess that's an additional advantage to putting them on top of tall poles... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

BTW, I wonder what they do with the really BIG transformers, like the substation variety?

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 03-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 03-25-2002).]

Yep, I was sitting on my front porch enjoying the evening when I heard what I first thought to be a 30.06 caliber high powered rifle at point blank range... Then I saw the cows stampeding... Then I noticed that my power was off...

A squirrel had found my Xformer the hard way...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
M
Only saw one go up, and as someone mentioned,a stroke that was about it. It was around noon, as I turned a corner and saw a huge Flash, at first I thought this was it, We have finally went for the first strike, then heard the explosion, I suppose this was all in an instant in time but it seemed to last for ever.
I didnt see any fur flying, but wanted out of their as quickly as possible. Scared the B-jeepers out of me.

Link Copied to Clipboard