ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11240 07/04/02 10:40 PM
M
Well guys,

After 10 years in business last month, I have decided to call it quits.

After being the slowest that we've ever been for the first six months of this year. And after loosing my a** on a few jobs a couple of years ago for which I will never recover from, I contacted a large electrical contractor in my area and was offered a position.

The contractor that I am now working for has about 70 people in the field and does mostly public jobs over $250,000.00.

I will be making prevailing wage and have full benefits. I requested to start out as a field electrician so that I can become familiar with how the company is run and then I will have the chance to be superintendent or possibly an estimator or project manager.

Right now they are letting me work from my home while I estimate a design/build job for a 20,000 square foot factory that I had coming into the new job. I will do the design and the take-off then they will price the job and submit the proposal.

When I am done with the take-off I will be starting my new position as a field electrician. 8:00 - 4:30 go home and no worries just a steady paycheck.

Oh, and by the way, for the first time in my life I am getting paid to do design work and take-off wheather we get the job or not!

#11241 07/04/02 11:59 PM
G
Brian,
I made it 12 years, the depression of 90 stuff got so slow, and I watched people take jobs for what I had in materials, I figured it was time to go. I took a gummint job for 7 years, and became an inspector for engineering firms a little over 3 years ago.

I gotta say, I liked the gummint job. After 12 years self employment 12-16 hour days, and 6 years as superintendent prior to that I found I really liked 8 hour days. It was real nice to be able to just go do something and let someone else worry about payroll, insurance, taxes, bids, etc., you know the drill.

I know it's a big change man, but believe me, you can learn to enjoy it.

take care

#11242 07/05/02 07:24 AM
E
Wow eight hour days, go home and SLEEP, paid vacation, benefits, sounds like early retirement. Enjoy!

#11243 07/05/02 09:23 AM
B
master66-- That could not have been an easy decision. Best of luck to you.

#11244 07/05/02 01:51 PM
Wow, good luck to you Brian, that had to be a tough one like beej pointed out...

What is prevailing wage for a Master anyway?

Full benefits = health, dental, 401K?

I couldn't even imagine...

Uh, are they still hiring?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#11245 07/05/02 04:36 PM
M
Prevailing wage for an "electrician" (Journeyman level)is about $28.??/hr plus the "fringes" which pays for the benefits. Master doesen't make a difference.

And yes, 401K, health, dental, eye, long term & short term disability...

If I work on a private job (not prevailing wage)they will pay $25.00/hour plus $500.00 per month towards the above benefits.

The best part about it is that when I get paid I don't have to pay any overhead!

Man, I hope this works out as well as it sounds... Thanks for the support guys.

Oh, and by the way, the owner of this company told me that he belongs to some kind of network (can't remember what it's called) that groups up electrical contractors of similar sizes from different parts of the country so that they can discuss problems and ideas like we do here. They communicate by email or phone but once a year they meet in a central location.

Knowing how priceless this site is to us, imagine what that would be like.

If anyone is interested, I might be able to find out more.

Thanks again for the support and good wishes.

#11246 07/05/02 06:53 PM
S
kudos & best wishes master66..

so...ah...all you 'ex-contractors' will hopefully stick around to advise those of us still looking to beat up the world???
[Linked Image]

#11247 07/05/02 08:27 PM
A
Good Luck Brian. Saddens me a bit when a pro closes shop. I look back at all the sacrifices I have had to make to have my name on the side of the trucks and wonder. I love my job... I have to. Hope your new gig works out. When it's my time, I will teach.

#11248 07/06/02 02:12 AM
Broom Pusher and
Master66,
Good luck with the new company! Sorry to hear about the closing down of your biz.

One thing that will be [somewhat] difficult to overcome with the new company is not having to take complete charge of everything.
It takes a little getting used to, and feels really strange, but eventually it subsides.

Funny thing is that once you get used to not having to be in complete control of everything on a given project, you bounce out of the field / straight installation aspects and into the Supervision / Foreman and P.M. / Designing positions - which puts you back into the "Take Charge Of It All" realm again!

I am dead set on getting at least 25% of the year's work to be hands-on installs [work in the field as an Electrician]. Really wanted it to be 50% Field Work / 50% "Paper" Work [PM, Designs, Surveys, Supervision, Etc.], but it looks like 25% Field work will be the most.

Once again, good luck.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#11249 07/08/02 03:34 PM
G
"Oh, and by the way, for the first time in my life I am getting paid to do design work and take-off wheather we get the job or not!"

This is the problem with competing against small companies. Most will not put in the cost of design and estimating, so the ones that do get no work. Not blaming anyone; just the way the system turned out.

Best of luck in your new position. Each of us has to work with-in whatever system is best for us.

Gerald Powell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard