That brings back a distant memory! My grandparents had an old Fisher turntable/stereo deal that opened up from the top (like a coffin) and there was a metal plate around the radio face and knobs.. I remember getting small tingles from that before! It was all tubes in the back (the back cover was missing long before I entered the world.) Over time it was relocated to the garage.. Man that thing used to crank out!
I love tube amps. We use many tube-based preamplifier circuits for high end live sound reinforcement jobs, because theres nothing better. I hope someone still has that unit.
Speaking of old stereo's, check out what I discovered at my father in laws house!
Nope, the cord isn't polarized... But it vibrates the house quite nicely when Rob Zombie is on I'll try to get back and shoot some pics with the back cover off
(edited to put images on ECN server after resizing them)
[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-26-2006).]
Could we get a pic which shows all of the turntable as well please? I can't quite make out what brand that is.
This looks like the typical radio/tape/record combo unit of the late 1960s to early/mid 1970s era, especially given the "4D" setup which was in vogue at that time.
Those things used to be called "music trunks" in German. They went out of favor in the early 1960s here though. The fanciest ones featured an FM/AM radio, a 4-speed turntable and a multispeed reel-to-reel tape recorder. My mom made her first recordings in 1967 from her parent's music trunk (only radio and turntable) to reel tape using a microphone because the trunk didn't have any kind of connectors, except MAYBE a speaker plug.
European DC radios were always live chassis, as well as the universal DC/AC types. No polarized plugs in Austria and Germany as well as most other regions back then. I suppose my 1950s TV set is NOT live chassis, otherwise I guess I would already have gotten shocked from the missing knobs.
When I was taking these pics I told my father in law about ECN and that I knew a few of the guys here would enjoy seeing this stereo... He countered "First $500 takes it" LOL!!
(edited to take off of darn photobucket and put on ECN server, after resizing. For the millionth time, Please send them in instead !!)
[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-26-2006).]