ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106085 07/20/05 06:50 PM
Gathering info for single-line diagrams is not my favorite, but necessary for permits. This one was less fun than most, a large place, multiple buildings, and all to do a small "facelift" on one building front.

The entire place is heaped with junk.

A particularly miserable fellow stopped to tell me that I really shouldn't be there, since another contractor (Mr. X) has taken care of all their needs for >20 yrs.

I need to get to that transformer
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Aah, there it is.
[Linked Image]

As luck would have it, Mr X was working on the parking lot lighting (replacing capacitors barehanded on energized 1000w MH fixtures) the second day of my ordeal.

BTW, he also does control work
[Linked Image]

I asked Mr X about a couple of final panels I couldn't find, and he led me to an employee break room, opened a closet, brooms, mops, and all, and revealed a 277/480 and a 225A 120/208 panel....with no covers or dead fronts. (no pic, as Mr X was standing right there.) I thanked him and left the giant junk heap as fast as possible.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-21-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Single line diagram? place a plate of spaghetti on the counter at the building dept and tell them thats as accurate as it's gonna get [Linked Image] Seriously... this looks faintly familiar of a stripmall I worked on back in the day trying to troubleshoot some facade lighting... I spent more time moving crap outta the way than I did anything else... and charged them accordingly... BTW, is that the xfmr falling off the wall??? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Randy

S
The way that XFMR is mounted gives new meaning to the term "wedge anchor"

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Send the pics to the local newspaper! Nothing like a bit of free and democratic publicity to get a boot planted right up the nincompoop Mr X's butt, along with the cretins who are supposed to be managing that crap-heap. Those morons are a menace to the employees.
Alan

Wood work but can't!
The xfrmr is hidden away at the bottom of the pic. The "wedge anchored" (great term, Sandsnow) enclosure is an air compressor controller. It's not as heavy as the xfrmr, so it's supported by the crap on the rack in front of it. It's still got 50 or 60 Amps of 480 3Ø power. I opted to go around, rather than under it, for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure if all of this is X's doing, but if not he sure is able to turn a blind eye to his customer's hazards.
He and his customer should both be set adrift in the middle of the ocean in a boat with a hole in it.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-21-2005).]

Customer; "Hey, Mr X, have you fixed that hole yet, it's getting kinda wet in here!"

Mr X; "Don't worry Boss! I just drilled another hole to let all the water out again!"

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Are you sure Mr. X is a contractor, not an arsonist? [Linked Image]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Electure,
What's the story in the 3rd picture?.
I see a lot of cables heading upwards(or downwards) over the edge of a (sharp?) metal edge?.
Is it common practice to have Data connection blocks out in the open like that?, it would be the first time I've seen them without some sort of a cover or enclosure over them.
I can't say I'm a fan of all of them joints and missing covers in the 4th pic either. [Linked Image]

B
66 blocks of the type shown in the first photgraph rarely have covers. The ones that do have covers usually have T1 or other data lines on them, or are the demarc for the incoming telephone lines.

E
e57 Offline
Is the #3 pic blury? Or is that a scoech march on the covered potion of that box cover? (To the lower right of the label)

The box to the left will obviously never get covered....

Maybe a laundry list of violations for the customer, or a red tag will get Mr. X out of your hair.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard