ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
[Linked Image]

This setup was installed by the owner of a paint store. Do I have to explain what I found wrong here, or does an electrician need to be spoon fed here?

Comments? Outside pull box in alleyway!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

86 the lockring...

D
No duct tape!

L
a rigid compression connector with a stick of emt

L
a rigid compression connector.

E
It looks like two connectors are being used because the pipe was a little too short. Measure twice cut once.

S
Thought lock-rings are only supposed to be used to secure the connector to the inside of the panel or enclosure.

Not to mention with that setup you're likely to get water leaking into that coupling.

R
Is that a Meyer's hub on the bottom? I can't quite tell.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Meyer's Hub it is, and the wiring method is RMC not EMT.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
C
There are two possibilities here. Either someone used a liquid tight flex connector on rigid conduit because they were too lazy to thread the conduit, or I need a spoon.

A
Whats even funnier is they bothered to use the foam rubber gasket on the Meyers Hub!

R
im guessing he didnt have the capability to thread the pipe so he used a threadless rigid connector installed in a meyers hub.

C
At the very least, water will enter through the bottom threads of the connector 'cause the misused locknut is preventing it from seating properly. Damn, I could've used that locknut the other day when I dropped the one I had from an extension ladder into some shrubs.

W
I've seen Rigid compression adapters in the past, do they still make them?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
If it is a threadless GRC connector I see nothing wrong unless there are not 5 threads engaged between the connector and the hub.
Yes to the last post. They still make threadless connectors.

Is that threadless connector listed as "raintight"?
And yes, it looks very much like it could be a part of a sealtite fitting. This company's look the same from the outside.

D
I only have two questions about this picture? Is it a service, and are there threads under the service head at the other end of the RMC? (As in turn the pipe around & use the threaded end on the Myers hub without the compression connector & nut)

Dave

Apart from the locknut and the double connecter thing, is it just me or is the pipe actually smaller than the connector? Look at the top of the connector at the top. Looks like a very large gap from the conduit. I seem to recall the conduit setting tighter than that to the connectors compression ring.

E
e57 Offline
Ditch the lock-nut, and crank that thing! Theyn all look loose to me.

And, odds are where they got the conduit, they could've theaded it for them too.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
W
no1.The use of the rmc compression connector,i do believe that it does not carry a listing for outdoor raintght use.GRC shouldve been threaded and installed appropiately into the meyers hub on top on the enclosure. Another inquiry i have though wouldnt have actually been more cost effective to try and obtain the manufactured hub for that enclosure instead of a meyers hub? hmm

W
i retract the question about the manufactured hub previously asked. I did notice that gasket in between to hub and enclosure however. kinda hard to obtain proper bonding that way isnt it? Well, considering meyers hubs have the gasket built in next to the threads and the outer edge is rounded with teeth to obtain a good biting bond even through the enamel that looks to be located on top of the enclosure.

R
The use of the rmc compression connector,i do believe that it does not carry a listing for outdoor raintght use.
In my opinion the no-thread rigid compression connector is far more "raintight" than an standard rigid threaded coupling.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
That may be of some truth, however if the case were that the GRC(Galvanized Rigid Conduit)had the galvanized processes been removed prior to the installation of a coupling to ensure the best type of seal and proper bonding of both pieces of metal together and had it been made wrenchtight.

[This message has been edited by wirenut73 (edited 05-25-2004).]

86 the rigid compression connector.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard