ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

AE-Gifts, Affordable Everyday

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 244 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,749
Member
[Linked Image]

This is a horror story I found in a major hotel in downtown Mexico City! I often wonder when the fire will start in that 7th floor equipment room!

These terminations are really loose now because of over torque, and the heat generated by the loads is clearly evident because the wires were melting!!

How does the insurance industry, or in house safety people see this?


Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Insulated Tools for Electricians

Insulated Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,393
S
Member
Quote
How does the insurance industry, or in house safety people see this?

assuming things work the same in Mexico as here......

hopefully the 'house safety' people will catch it smoking, if not hopefully the 'insurance industry' pays up.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 134
L
Member
joe....are they attempting to get 3 phase power from a single buss.?just never know in mexico.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,691
S
Member
Joe,
How did the hotel management react after you showed this to them?

I really hole that panel was in a poured-concrete or brick walled room.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,749
Member
I was only a guest and I really should have minded my own business.

I did send an email message to the hotel and would be welcomed back [as the hotel manager said], but would probably be arrested!

When I think about the chances I take to get those violations I shutter!

I'll stay away from that hotel ....


Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 24
G
Member
Learning here. How does overtorque lead to loosening and this problem?

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,749
Member
Gus1999

If you look carefully at the picture above you'll see where the terminals are tightened all of the way into the lug --- showing copper around the circle. That's what the problem was here, and the "over torquing" led to this situation.


Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Insulated Tools for Electricians

Insulated Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5