ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 110 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Steve are you sure you have the same 2005 NEC as the rest of us? wink laugh

400.7(A)(3)?

A plug strip is not a portable lamp, sign or appliance. Listings Steve, it's all in the listing.

FWIW Fire inspectors regularly force the removal of 'relocatable power taps' (That is the listing of what we are talking about) When they decide they are being used in place of real wiring.

Say at the the local Mega-marts TV department, the Fire inspector walks in and finds daisy chained relocatable power taps or relocatable power taps supplied by an extension cord or a relocatable power tap fastened in place they are likely to force the removal of them as any of those conditions are listing violations.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
One brand comes in two versions identical except that one has a plug and one is for hard wiring.
That is correct, however the hardwired one will not have any rubber cord at all. It will be supplied from a chapter 3 wiring method.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
I guess I just can't comprehend the twisted bureacracy that will allow a plug strip to be hard wired in place and wouldn't allow 3 pendants but I lived and worked around the government in DC for 40 years so I am not shocked. My advice is get some good cord grip fittings and go for it. 90-4 as AHJ it and get on with your life.

Greg Fretwell
S
Eh nuts, listed (3) twice, didn't I? I meant to say "A case could be made for both 400.7(A)(3) as an appliance and 400.7(A)(6) Connection of utilization equipment to permit frequent interchange".

When I say "power strip" I actually mean "surge supressor" which is.... ah... an appliance for stopping surges and not just acting as a relocatable power tap, right??

It's sad when a lawyer would be better able to tell us how we do electrical work than we can. And when we run into technicalities like a power strip vs a surge supressor. There's something wrong with that. Maybe that's what gets me- when I try to apply logic to a legal document and get frustrated when I can't find the code that lets me do what I think I should be able to do something that makes sense not just permitted but quite literally required in far more restrictive applications.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=plAAuk9VwLs
What does this youtube have to do with this topic you might ask? Well, try to imagine what might happen to a plug under those conditions... (If you're having trouble imagining, it looks something like this: http://www.aeronavlabs.com/shockfirst30degreemarlocoil.wmv ) Anyhow, that's why I didn't hesitate to consider just lopping off the plug and hardwiring.

I
Steve, I can not see how 400.7(A)(6) will help you at all for your proposed installation.

Take a look at 400.7(B) and notice that it requires an attachment plug used with flexible cords used as allowed by 400.7(A)(3), (A)(6) and (A)(8)

And when we run into technicalities like a power strip vs a surge supressor.
In all likelihood if you look at the UL tag on this device you will see "Relocatable Power Tap"

Here is the UL white book info for ‘‘Relocatable Power Tap,’’ ‘‘Power Tap’’ or ‘‘Outlet Strip.’’

RELOCATABLE POWER TAPS (XBYS)
USE AND INSTALLATION
This category covers relocatable power taps rated 250 V ac or less, 20 A or
less. They are intended for indoor use as relocatable multiple outlet extensions
of a single branch circuit to supply laboratory equipment, home workshops,
home movie lighting controls, musical instrumentation, and to provide
outlet receptacles for computers, audio and video equipment, and
other equipment. They consist of one attachment plug and a single length of
flexible cord terminated in a single enclosure in which one or more receptacles
are mounted. They may, in addition, be provided with fuses or other
supplementary overcurrent protection, switches, suppression components
and/or indicator lights in any combination, or connections for cable, communications,
telephone and/or antenna.
Relocatable power taps are intended to be directly connected to a permanently
installed branch circuit receptacle. Relocatable power taps are not
intended to be series connected (daisy chained) to other relocatable power
taps or to extension cords.
Relocatable power taps are not intended for use at construction sites and
similar locations.
Relocatable power taps are not intended to be permanently secured to
building structures, tables, work benches or similar structures, nor are they
intended to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring. The cords of relocatable
power taps are not intended to be routed through walls, windows, ceilings,
floors or similar openings.
Relocatable power taps have not been investigated and are not intended
for use with general patient care areas or critical patient care areas of health
care facilities as defined in Article 517 of ANSI/NFPA 70, ‘‘National Electrical
Code’’ (NEC).
Component power taps may be factory installed on relocatable equipment
intended for use in general patient care areas or critical patient care areas as
defined in the NEC. They are intended to comply with 60601-1, ‘‘Medical
Electrical Equipment, Part 1: General Requirements,’’ and 60601-1-1, ‘‘Safety
Requirements for Medical Electrical Systems.’’ Refer to Medical Equipment
(PIDF).

RELATED PRODUCTS
For relocatable power taps employing cord sets provided with leakage
current detection and interruption, see Cord Sets with Leakage Current
Detection and Interruption (ELGN).
For portable ground-fault circuit interrupters, see Ground-fault Circuit
Interrupters (KCXS).
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For additional information, see Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary
Locations (AALZ).
REQUIREMENTS
The basic standard used to investigate products in this category is UL
1363, ‘‘Relocatable Power Taps.’’
UL MARK
The Listing Mark of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. on the product is the
only method provided by UL to identify products manufactured under its
Listing and Follow-Up Service. The Listing Mark for these products
includes the UL symbol (as illustrated in the Introduction of this Directory)
together with the word ‘‘LISTED,’’ a control number, and the product name
‘‘Relocatable Power Tap,’’ ‘‘Power Tap’’ or ‘‘Outlet Strip.’’

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
I find this thread to be very interesting because there are some valid points made by all. iWire's UL references are some I'd not looked at before, about the way UL sees "relocatable power strips".

As for article 400, there is no way that "Uses Permitted" could be all inclusive and I've seen many ways people have safely used these devices. I've also seen them abused by daisy chaining etc.

As for permanently installed, it gets done all the time with UL's blessing by virtue of the fact that most of them come with tabs, ears or slots for mounting. Just to drift for one moment, the code does frown on using cord and cap connection plugged into track lighting. Forgot the article but it's there (I think).

George Little
I
As for permanently installed, it gets done all the time with UL's blessing by virtue of the fact that most of them come with tabs, ears or slots for mounting.
Yes they do often come with mounting means.

But not with ULs blessing as they specifically tell us not to mount them. rolleyes

Relocatable power taps are not intended to be permanently secured to building structures, tables, work benches or similar structures,
To tell you the truth I mounted a surge suppressor plug strip to a clean room bench just last week. It's odd to me that UL feels it safer to leave it floating than fastened.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
N
I do not see how this can be argued that it is not a substitute for fixed wiring.

It seems to me that this is one of the intents of 400.8.

Its always frustrating when an engineer comes up with a "great" idea on how to jerry-rig something...lol.

I guess I am confused on how a surface mounted 4" square with an offset nipple, device and duplex or double duplex raised mulberry cover would cost $5000.00

From a safety aspect - frayed and overloaded extension cords are a huge hazard no matter how you look it.

Hire a good electrician and get it done right - this sounds like the shoddy work done by "maintenance" in many gov't & commercial buildings

The fact that is "blessed" by an engineer makes no difference to me

G
In Steve's defense I must point out that you should never under estimate the insanity of federal government rules, particularly in secure sites. As I said upthread, I don't understand the details either but I am not shocked. They do some strange spit.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
OK, for the "how-to" part....

The cord connectors with the rubber grommets have over twice the strain relief capability of a simple strap two-screw clamp. They will grip your cord quite well.

I do not know the current available to the disconnect .... I am assuming that the circuit breakers on the power strips will allow you to apply the tap rules.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard