ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redsy Offline OP
I often see shut off switches for residential Jacuzzi tubs, even though they are cord-and-plug connected. I think they are installed as a misinterpretation of the emergency shut-off requirement for spas & hot tubs.

Does anyone else install them?

Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Not I. At least, not as any sort of 'emergency' shut off. I consider the controls on the tub to be sufficient for that purpose.

There is some sort of disconnect at the feeder; there is often some sort of disconnecting means under the tub - often a plug for the pump, and another for the heater.

I
An emergency shut off is required for spas and hot tubs unless it is a single family dwelling.

The code reference in the 2002 code is 680.41, I do not know if this changed for 2005. (It's 9 F outside....I am not going out to the truck for my 2005. [Linked Image] )

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Common practice here is single recept for pump, sing for heat; some do duplex w/split tabs. Then faceless GFI (deadfront) somewhere in bath area. Others do GFI CB.
Cord/plug serves as the 'service disco'.
In almost 30 years, have not seen a switch.

John

John
S
Nope, I wire them like Hotline1 suggested. Either with a FACELESS GFCI installed above the bathroom toggle switches, or with a GFCI circuit breaker. I prefer the protection be in the bathroom above the switches as compared to inside the panel because its more convienent to the customer to reset the GFCI if it happens to trip.

I
John is that how it is done in other than single family dwellings?

You all have me confussed....which is not that hard at times. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
I see what I have mistaken, I was assuming a 'spa' was a 'Jacuzzi'

I don't really see the difference electrically but I see the difference in the defintions.....still confused. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
Dear Confused in MA,

You might know this already but I see this as an opportunity to razz you. "Jacuzzi" is a brand name of products including tubs, basins camodes and bidets. So if you have a "Jacuzzi" bidet, you may or may not need a disconnect within sight.

Okay I feel better now.

I don't have a problem with installers using a cord/cap as a disconnect for a HMBT (Hydromassage bathtub) and having to open an access door to use it. This "disconnect" is for servicing the motor. This is not unlike the disconnect that might be located under the skirt of a hot tub or spa.

As for the faceless GFCI, this makes common sense but this would be optional. IMHO The words "within sight of it's equipment" are in the discription of Article 680 for the '02 NEC and in the '05 NEC the've added the words "readily accessible" and this may change the way this gets enforced.

Okay Bob- Your turn.

George Little
D
Gfi above or below panel in house feeding a single receptacle under jacuzzi....thats how we do it....Had A guy ask me the other day if he could install a single pole switch in place of the air switch..He said they had the wrong switch...I pointed out the idea of the owner sitting in the tub and flicking a switch didn't sound to safe.....

Iwire: (Bob)

No, the post was for a hydro massage tub (whirlpool/'jacuzzi'/etc) in a residential unit; for use by the occupant of said dwelling.

OK, now before I get jumped; NOT a common area tub in a complex; or in a gym, health club, etc.

The above post is 'common practice' here for resi.

Comm is another story.

'Confused in MA', I really doubt that!

"Jacuzzi" is like saying "Romex", George. My 'bad'! A hydro massage tub, fill it, enjoy the bubbles/jets, have fun, & drain it out

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard