ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, HotLine1), 169 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
240.(B) is not being used in this application, we are using 240.6(G)

When you read 240.6(G) you find it says 'shall be permitted'

Take that along with the sections in 440 and you get to go much larger that the next standard size.

Here is the reason this is permitted and it is safe.

The HVAC unit contains internal overload protection, if say a motor seizes up the units own over current protection will open before the conductors area damaged assuming you followed the name plate data.

The break at the panel is not being used for over current protection, it's only function is short circuit and ground fault protection.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
I understand that 440 allows you to use 14 awg for this installation, but I cannot find were the code allows you to protect 14 awg with a 30 ampere breaker when by table 310.16 shows maximum of 25 amperes. This is the part that is confusing me.

Thanks

G
Mountan, look at 430.52

Greg Fretwell
E
In this case look at 440.6 for the nameplate use, 440.12 for the disconnect size, 440.22 for the OC device and 440.31 for the wire size,.

But the key is the last sentence of 440.21: "They" (short circuit and ground fault OC devices) "are in addition to or amendatory of the provisions of Article 240."

Earl
E
e57 Offline
Code compliant maybe, cutting it close, adding too many variables to the picture like ambiant temp, derateing, voltage drop, starting current etc. But with most inspectors, it just wont fly when you have a 3 second eye-ball inspection, or a full blown engineering calculation to go through.

Either way, we are in the buisiness of selling wire right? the bigger the better.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
Mark there are always two answers, the code minimum (which the inspector must accept) or beyond code minimums.

99% of the time we run conductors that match the breaker size.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
I had my outside AC unit moved from the west side of my house to the north side of my house, Granted it was a freebie job, I had done an electrical favor fer the ac guyz sister, and in re-payment he moved my ac, cut and brazed the freon lines etc, but when he moved it, he went from a 45amp 230v dissconect to the unit w/ #12 awg, that was laying out side my shed. and told my roomate, that I needed to replace it (the #12) as soon as possible..............

V
Is the 60 amp disconnect correct for the overload though?

Village:
Welcome to ECN.
Any size disconnect is OK, provided that the MOCP is sized properly. IF you wanted, for whatever reason, to install a 600 amp disco, that also would be OK

John

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard