I recall during my apprenticeship, the text was quite specific : It is NEVER the electricians' responsibility to determine the classification of hazardous locations."

That's what the book said. Yea, right. In the field, we are often far more qualified than anyone else involved, without regard to whatever credentials the others may hold!

Anyway.... determining the classification requires a whole bunch of things be considered. How much is sprayed, what the airflow is, whether there is a "water wall" or not, and WHAT is being sprayed.

Once an area is defined as "classified," then there are a whole slew of ways to deal with it.... and not all require special wiring methods.

When you are in "over your head" (it happens to me all the time), you need to get together with some REAL experts. So, how do you find them?

You might ask some local place with similar issues who their consultant is. IE: Is there an oil refinery near you?
The ISA (Instrumentation Society of America) has LOTS of expertise in this area. Ask them for a local, sertified member.
Finally, your insurance company has rooms full of folks who do nothing but worry. Ask them.