Hello, all! This is my second post to the site, so please bear with me...

I've searched the forums, and cannot find the answer to my dilemma. One of my bosses is asking me to source and price some luminaires to use when we convert an existing room to a painting area at work. It's a fairly large room (approximately 20'x35') with cinder-block walls, concrete floor, and steel ceiling (14' high). The room has a man door on one of the long sides, and 8'x8' counterweighted stainless-steel-clad sliding doors (for forklift access) on the opposite long side and one of the short sides (the opposite short side is an exterior wall, through which the outbound ventilation will pass). All electrical equipment (panels, discos, pipe, switches, etc.) will be removed, with the lighting to be attached to the walls (wiring to pass through said walls), and mounted 8'-12' from the floor. The largest object we will paint in there is a platform top which is about 8'x20'x1' made of heavy-gauge steel.

I understand the classification/division system(s) to be employed when specifying electrical equipment in Hazardous and Classified Locations. My question has to do with definitions. Specifically, how big does an area have to be to qualify for "Open Spraying" classification?

Using 505.5(B)(1) and (2), 516.3(B)(1), and 516.3(C)(1), it's plain that this will be a Class I location, but Division 1 or 2? If this can be classified as Class I, Division 2, our cost for luminaires will be approximately 20% of the cost of luminaires rated for Class 1, Division 1. The boss will scream bloody murder if he has to pay $2k+ per luminaire, though I greatly fear that's how this area will have to be classified.

Please help me resolve whether this area must be classified as a "Paint Room" or can be classified as an "Open Spraying" area. I'll be happy to supply additional information as needed.

Thank you all very much!

Paul