What wiring method is used for the Service Entrance Conductors? The conductors can come up through the floor if the Utility Room is in the basement but I don't imagine you would have brought this up if that were the case. Type USE conductors may not extend more than six feet inside a structure because they lack a flame retardant outer covering. If the service entry conductors would have to extend twenty feet into a building and you can't encase them in masonry at least two inches thick on all sides you will have to resort to an exterior Service Disconnecting Means. Alternatively you could mount the main breaker in a flush mount enclosure at any acceptable place just inside the structure. Your main panel then becomes a feeder supplied panel and all of the rules that apply to what everyone calls "sub panels" now apply. If this doesn't actually fit your situation then sketch in some more detail and I'll try again.
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

PS That is what I get for interupting my reply composing to have an involved conversation. The other replies make mine late and perhaps silly.

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 08-04-2006).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison