http://www.geocities.com/cinkerf/misc3
In an industrial setting a light fixture is needed at the top of wood pole that service equipment is installed on. The photo link shows a 100 amp service (protected with 100 amp knife fuses in the disconnect). I see nothing wrong with using the 10' tap rule to supply a 20 Amp disconnect to provide power for a new light fixture located at the top of the pole. *The wiring space in the service disconnect enclosure is adequate *. Split bolt connectors will be used to tap the 12 AWG conductors to the 3AWG conductors. I believe this installation would be considered Code compliant. Please give me your opinion.

* Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.
Enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices shall not be used as junction boxes, auxiliary gutters, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other switches or overcurrent devices, unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. The conductors shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 40 percent of the cross-sectional area of the space, and the conductors, splices, and taps shall not fill the wiring space at any cross section to more than 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that space.

[This message has been edited by Frank Cinker (edited 01-22-2006).]