Quote
Call me a fanatic but I would want to drive a stacked rod at the garage and add sections until I got under 25 ohms if the GEC did not show an impedance of 25 ohms or less when run to the electrodes at the house only.

I would not call you a fanatic only concerned with your work. [Linked Image]

I will ask Why?

What is the magic in 25 ohms?

The NEC does not require 25 ohms.

Here is part of a post from a Florida electrical instructor who is also spends a lot of time studying lighting protection systems. His info generally comes from here.

http://www.lightning.ece.ufl.edu/

Quote
If you have a normal soil resistivity of something around 4,000 to 50,000 ohm-centimeters, a ground resistance of anything around 15 to 200 ohms will be sufficient for basic lightning protection. Deep rods are of almost no use as lightning typical drives no more than 2 feet into the earth before extending out laterally from its strike point.

His entire post can be seen here.

http://www.mikeholt.com/cgi-bin/codeforum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001 802;p=1#000003

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-03-2006).]


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts