Quote:

Ambient Temperature Has Nothing to do with Voltage Drop of the wire. Voltage Drop Increases Wire temp and then you have to take that into account.
% Volts Dropped is % Power Wasted. The Customer IS Paying for the power wasted in the wires. As far as I'm concerned all we as electricians have to worry about is Volts Dropped After the Meter. Who Cares about what the POCO supplies to us at the meter. We need to keep Voltage drop to a minimum after the meter. During my apprentiship days we did alot of calculations along these lines. Upsizing wires WILL pay for itself within a couple of years, Especially with continuous loads.
Pretty much Any wire run over 100' needs to be upsized! I can't stress this any more The Customer IS paying for the power wasted in the wire due to Voltage drop. They Pay for it but don't get to use it! Think about that when you use 5% Volts Dropped. That is basically 5% tacked onto their electricity bill. Code is a minimum and in this case just reccomended, It's hard to bid jobs this way. Ain't it great being an Electrician Competing to do cheaper work!

Justin

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End