We just did a 200 a home service where the inspecter would not permit a ground rod. The original service never had a g rod just the cold water ground.

The new service the inspecter was adament about not permitting a ground rod on both the service and rough inspections. He said they only allow grounding the cold water pipe and that's it.

Tried to ask why. Was it some worry about stray current or something? He said he did not know why they had that rule. Also that it was a local amendment left by the last electric inspector. The village has their amendments online but I can't find anything about forbidding a g rod. Only that you must ground the cold water.

I would say that the utility required a g rod but probably would not look for or notice it.

We have normal dirt ground around here. Were not on an iceberg or rock.

Right now the serviced is passed inspection. I don't know if I want to cause problems over this. We have a lot of other issues with the inspectors. He wants the "Architect" to turn in revised blue prints to reflect the changes the designer made to the lighting. He's going around with the print saying the plans call for 4 cans and you have 3. We can't pass that without changing the plans or doing it like the print.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 03-02-2005).]