Master66 - your comparison (Caddy v. VW) reminds me of the customers that used to complain about my "expensive" receptacles. (When I first started out, I tried the (then) .39 Big Orange Box cheepos - found out quickly why the extra $ for "commercial grade" is worth it - to me AND my customers). I would give them refs to previous customers, and ask them to call, and find out when the last time was that they needed an outlet that I installed replaced due to normal use and abuse (teenagers).

I also would get the customers who would ask if "all that stuff" was really necessary - (you know, 12 AWG for 20A circuits... that sort of thing...) back when I was "handymanning". I'd tell the customers that the City might be able to get me for not being licensed, but not for doing non code compliant work.

Admittedly, I'm working in a much more "lower middle class" community, but you see the same "$ v. quality" mentality down here.

I have to agree with you - someone who spends $65k on a car that's "safer" for their family will choose the lower bidder with no research, and no background info to make an educated decision. Kinda makes you wonder.