roger,
thanks for the reply...i have been an electrician for over 25 years..i can't remember how many 20A breakers I have seen on #14 wire..IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN..we all know the procedure for adding to an exisitng circuit..the problem is the folks who do not..

in the code there is a rule that you must plan for future expansion...when you install 14/2 on a general purpose branch circuit...you are not doing anybody any favors..yes I can use a 15A breaker and run 14/2 from the panel to some devices and meet the code..but..there is more advantages and benfits from using #12 over #14...

there is Nothing that would stop anybody from building a bomb and setting it off in their garage either...if someone exceeds the ampacity of a conductor by installing OCPD'S that are not rated for use with the conductors then this person is not qualified to be doing electrical work...i cant remember how many AC units I have seen in the world that have #10 running off a 40 or 50A breaker...if you have been in the trade long you surely have seen the same problem..

we cant stop unqualified persons from doing electrical work..

regards

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-10-2004).]