Sven,

The answer is in the mind of the electrical AHJ for the place where the apartment is. S/He will know of the "remodeling code" modifications to the National Electrical Code that apply to the specific occupancy in question. I know this is a delicate issue with you, but, you really need to form a relationship with your AHJ. [Linked Image]

I work in Minnesota. We have a uniform statewide interpretation of the NEC given from the Minnesota State Board of Electricity for all new construction. For existing buildings, the "rehab code" is described in many different places. . .the State Building Code, county and city. Sometimes, even a lending institution will make requirements, when it is their money that is being used by the party they are providing the loan to.

I have to be familiar with all of these regulations in order to give my customer the most value for his dollar. If I insist on only using the unmodified NEC, I penalize my customer.

Harold,

I like the idea of a single statewide rehab code. Anything that will reduce the number of bodies of regulation that I have to be familiar with is, potentially, an improvement.

Al Hildenbrand