we design, fab, and build processing skids for the pharmaceutical industry.our skids may be used for cleaning purposes, as well as manufacturing. they would consist of vessels, pumps, valves, heat exchangers, and istruments to control the process. some of these skids are built in house and only need a power drop and airline to get them going. others may require complete disassembly at our facility, due to their size, and reassembly at the job site. we generally build these to NEMA 4X standards. our larger skids are designed to be intgrated into a larger system. controls wise. i am having trouble defining the industrial machine aspect. where is the line between industrial machine and building. one example of my problem is. we like to fab our own wireways for routing the instrument cables. we also like to include instrument airlines in the wireway. the instrument cables have no current carrying capacity. 4-20 mA analog, or 24vdc signal from a limit switch of some sort. NEC 300.8 is pretty clear about not being able to route anything other than electric conductors in the wireway. the whole design aspect of the wireways is for cleanliness. it makes the skids much easier to keep clean. this is just one example of my problem.
thank-you very much for you help.
dan