UL classified breakers have a list enclosed in the package with the breakers to show what panels they are classified for use in. For you to demand to see the list is not unreasonable. I also support you in rejecting the common practice of installing any breaker that physically fits the panel assembly.

The only thing I take issue with is the practice some inspectors have of enforcing the manufacturers unlisted instructions. It is not in cutler hammers best interest to permit the installation of a Thomas & Bettes classified breaker in their panels but that does not make it OK for anyone to use a misapplication of the listed or labeling instructions rule to prevent the installation of a breaker that is laboratory classified for use in that panel. I have had surge arresters turned down on inspection because they were installed in a panel of a different manufacturer. I simply removed the surge arrester and asked for the inspection to proceed without it. The inspector looked at me hard for nearly a minute. He knew that I would reinstall the surge arrester as soon as he was gone. Given that the surge arrester was an intermatic, installed in exact compliance with the instructions, I did not see what else I could do. The inspector wanted me to install the plug on surge arrester that is built by the panels manufacturer. Those units have a much lower dissipation rating than the wire in intermatic that I was installing. On that type of issue were you need inspection to get paid for your work processing an appeal is impractical.
--
Tom


Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison