If the NEC is necessary, why haven't half the buildings in Latin American burned to the ground and half the people been electrocuted? Anyone who's walked down a street in Mexico knows what I mean. Uncovered hot meter bases at eye level adjacent the sidewalk, 13,000 volt bare distribution lines 4 feet from balconies, etc. One big factor I've noticed is the differance in liability laws. Remember the guy that picked up his lawn mower to trim his hedge and cut off his fingers? Personally I think he should be eliminated from the gene pool not awarded one million bucks by a jury. Every time a new NEC book comes out it is fatter than the previous one. Never leaner. What will the 2052 edition look like? A foot thick maybe?
Every project of any size has code violations. A non-UL rated connector, a non-compliance box, switch, or receptacle and it's a game guessing what the inspector will allow. Contractors kiss his ass when he's at the job site and curse him when he leaves.
It's like a circus show Ive been watching for 27 years. If I didn't laugh I'd go insane. Then again maybe I have.