What about a national certificate of compentency. If I have a NCC then I can go in to a area or city that accepts the NCC buy a local license and work.
The best of both worlds. The city gets to sell a license and I only have to to take tests in areas that do not accepts the NCC.The major selling point of the NCC is one must document continuing education on the NEC to renew thge NCC.
I can remember the National Board of Electrical Examaners late 80's early 90's I did see it in EC&M magazine.I did take and pass the journeymans test it cost $150.00 and wag good for 3 years.The organization did not last long enough for me to renew my license.I think it was only accepted in 5 states at the most.The key to getting anything to work is the sponsering organizations creditibility. I think that perhaps a national industral electrical might be a good thing this would help the road whores who work the powerhouse and petro-chemical construction and shutdown circuit.With a industrial license you would have to be under the supervision of a engineering staff and you could not work outside of the power and petro-chemical industry.