Well, that's what happens when you use substandard materials... plastic for gas... and I would emphasize this to the property owner. If the run was galvanized steel, this likely would not have happened.

It seems everyone has become blaze' when it comes to gas. Years ago, gas systems were spec'd out using the strongest possible materials. Now I see copper and flexible lines in resi work, where its too easy for a HO to knick it when hanging up a picture or shelf. Problem is, gas hasn't gotten any less dangerous over time.

Ditto for your conduit, not too late to switch to galvanized RMC. Of course, many will talk about the increased costs of using "extreme" or commerical materials, but a home is the single biggest investment most people will ever make in their lifetimes, so what's a few extra dollars to go for the best? In this case, they're probably not starving since they have a HEATED pool.

In any event, since natural gas pressures is less than 1/2 of 1 pound PSI, and the gas line is crapy plastic, you could've easily repaired the line temporarily (or perhaps even permanently) while still in service... just cut out the damaged section of the line, prep the end, and glue a cap on it. Or you could've made up a 1" section of PVC with a cap, and use a band coupling attach to the pressure end of the line. Again, you could blow through a straw much harder than natural gas flows through lines.

I think you guys here chastizing him for not getting a markout are being totally unfair. The only thing a markout would've done is cover his rear. It wouldn't have prevented this; the same thing would've happened either way because considering the way the electric was installed, permits were never filed because there's no way this would've passed. So what makes you think gas permits were pulled? A lot pool work is unpermited. So much for the markout then.

Since you're cleaning up the obvious mess left by the pool contractor, this is something else you can add to the blame list.

There is also this issue of why the gas line wasn't buried deeper. You might want to check with your local code. Ditto for the plastic pipe. You might not be in the wrong at all here.

Joe