I was working today installing RNC conduit underground to feed an existing built-in pool electrical system. The existing EMT was run along a brick wall and had come apart at one of the couplings, not to mention it was rusty and looked like hell. Upon further review, the EMT was used as the EGC for the pool. No seperate equipment conductor was run. Therefore, we had swimming pool equipmnt that was not grounded, or bonded. Bad news no matter what.

Anyhow, as I was using the rented ditchwith to make my trench when low and behold I started to smell gas. I had hit a 1" black plastic pipe that was being used to feed the pool water heater. Ut-oh. It was buried, oh, about 12-14" below the grade. I went inside the house, told the homeowners what had happened, and tried to turn a gas valve off myself. But there was no shutoff for this particular run. Now the gas company gets a call and a service man has to come out to the house to shutoff the main.

I called a few plumbers that I know to "bail me out" but one was on vacation, another couldn't get there because of another job he was on, and another said he couldnt get there until Monday.

I felt about 'this big' having to tell a good, repeat customer that she wouldn't have gas until Monday morning at the earliest.

How would you have handled this?