Gfretwell
The reason I suggested working a summer job in a right to work state is because a reasonably intelligent guy could be running crews by the end of the summer and anyone with a rusty pair of Kliens and a mouthfull of wirenuts can be an electrician.
are you sure you want to use the title Electrician in that sentence? Your idea of an Electrician and my idea of an Electrician are quite different. The jest of your sentence may be true of wiring houses in your area, but be assured that is not the case everywhere. Those you are looking at as being Electricians are simply Installers as I said in my earlier post.

I would like to see a demand for better qualifications but it doesn't seem to be the trend.
I agree, but in areas such as Asheville we have a 1 to 1 ratio even in the residential side. Unfortunately this requirement is not statewide.

Maybe I seem bitter but I have had several great careers become obsolete.
I'm sorry for that but, Electricians are still in demand.

The fact remains you can probably make a good living as an employee but you won't get rich until you work for yourself.
I would say that depends on the employer the benefits and what ones definition of rich is.

That requires more business sense than trade skill. It also requires a lot more work and a whole lot more risk.
I absolutely agree with every word there.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-11-2006).]