I sure would like to see some code reference for that.

If the conduit is on the outside f the roof than the conduit is in fact outside the building in NEC terms.

I may have dropped the ball with that one, as I can't recall any Code reference as well. I'll brouse the book I've got ('99 edition) to figure out where I got the idea.

On a personal level though, thinking of how the metal, sparks and flames from a faulted conduit would in all likelyhood drop down upon the roof, it would still constitute a hazard IMO. (Thinking of the damage in the "4"RMC vs. Utility Current" thread)

I guess it depends on how one would look at the fact it's attached to the building, maybe? (But I agree, still qualifies as outside.)

No limit to length outside the building. Are thinking of a tap rule? Even those are allowed at unlimited length outside the building.

Most likely yes, I was thinking of the tap rule. Wouldn't a feeder to a fire pump technically qualify as a tap, since it is not part of the building's service equipment proper, and takes it's source prior to the building service disconnect? The mind wobbles... [Linked Image]

In light of your additional info, the rooftop is the most practical option here.

Stupid should be painful.