..... into the service equipment rated controller with built-in disconnect.

Tesla, I think that would satisfy the concern of the fire pump technician's working on the system.

However:

The plan is to come out of the utility transformer to a 400 amp CT cabinet (no disconnect) and then run up and over the rooftop, then down the other side of the building to the fire pump room.....

sounds like this run will be well in excess of say, 25 feet or so...

and

The EE says "The code interprets conduit attached to the building roof as inside the building (as there is not sufficient fire protection).......

A very astute and correct observation...

and

The local inspectors tell me they think he is wrong and they will approve of the service entrance conductors run over the building.

I wonder if these local inspectors would care to be the ones on the rooftop during a fire event in this building when that unprotected feeder run (with no disconnect, remember) faults from the heat buildup on the roof or if flames from within penetrate the roof and overheat the conductors within the conduit!! This is being fed from a 500kva transformer!!

A stupid plan, with very serious consequences possible. At the very least have a disconnect at the CT cabinet capable of killing that feeder under fault current conditions.

Just my 25cents. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.