Speedy,
I get the impression that you think I'm a home inspector. I'm not. I'm an E.C.
If I meant bring the house up to todays code, I would have said that but, "code standards" in this case means "make the home is legal". (make sure there are no three prong recepts where a two prong would be required, etc.)
As far as my advice to have an inspection done and use any violations as a bargaining chip.., Jason is trying to buy a house and he is the one who asked for advice. My advice was intended to help him, not the seller.
If the seller asked about inspections, I would have told him to hire his own electrician to make sure there were no violations before putting the house up for sale if that was the route he wanted to take.
I agree that some inspectors are out to bring the seller down in price but, they are usually hired buy the purchaser and finding whatever violations they can is in the best interest of their customer.
I do very few home inspections but on the occasion that I do, I work in the interest of who ever hired me and that's usually the buyer or the buyers agent.
I'm thorough when I do inspect for the simple reason that I would hate to have the buyer come back at me later over an electrical problem that I didn't catch.