Ran across this thread (which I forgot existed!), and want to make these following responses:

To BobH:

Scott, I always wondered about the mentality of "gaspoles" giving you guys a hard time in the field. I guess they just think engineers are pencil pushers and they'll grant you no respect.

Well, I feel that respect is something that can only be earned, never granted by default; but you have "Hit The Nail On The Head", as to the typical views of any Office type Personnel by the common "Gas-Pole"
[Linked Image]

It would be nice to describe - or even show with hands-on examples, that the People in the Office actually do work, and this work has its own level of difficulty involved too!
Also explain that there can even be some People, whom have skills for both Field and Office work Enviroments - mainly because those People had been in the trade for like a few years or so, before going into the Office...

If this could be demonstrated to the Apprentice Gas-Poles (Persons new to the "Gas-Pole Beliefs", being taught to be Gas-Poles by "Master Gas-Poles"), or the "Undecided Gas-Poles" (Persons teetering on the idea of breaking away from the "Gas-Pole Theory/Protocol"), I believe it would do a lot of good for our Trade.

It would give the Personnel who have only seen either the Field side of projects, or the Office side of projects, a more complete picture of what's going on altogether.

It would also encourage growth in knowledge + abilities, for many Company Team Members.

Overall, it would eliminate, or drammatically reduce "Gas-Pole Thinking" by Field and Office Personnel.

I've always tried to learn and ask questions when I encounter an engineer on the job and they're usually happy to oblige. Well I guess that's just the so called 'human condition' that we all have to deal with.

That's what I did too, and luckily we both had some good results.

Unfortunately, when I was younger, my past experiences were minimal when it came to an EE willing to discuss anything.

The handfull of EEs who did discuss stuff with me were more than happy to do so, and made sure I was completely "Trained/Educated" on the subject at hand (they did not forget how to be Professional Scientific Humans!).

The remainders are a "Third Class Of Gas-Poles", and generally they suck in a Logarithm-like fashion!
[Linked Image]

To Joe Tedesco:

PS: Scott35, I believe you can wear both hats and do very well all by yourself!

Thanks for the kind words, Joe! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I try to do the best possible with each hat on!

Scott35

edited more spelling blunders than I really should be!... time for englursh refresher!

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 07-24-2005).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!