PEdoubleNIZZLE;

Go for it, dude!!! (I know, the "dude" term... sounds silly!).

I have been doing the very same thing for many years! If I am not doing something Design related (read: "AutoCAD, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Eyes red and watering... yadda yadda yadda), I'm in the field doing something (Working Foreman, Stupidvisor, "Working" Project Manager, or world class broom pusher!).

The hardest things to deal with are:
  • First 2 weeks, maybe upto a full month, adjusting to the task changes - works both ways, going into the field, AND going into the CAD realm!
    Expect to feel the impact over this time period - hardest comes after the first weekend, and becomes easier in an exponential fashion,
  • Some Field Personnel - especially very arrogant Forepersons, will try as hard as they can to be ... well, the term I am thinking of rhymes with "Gas-Poles" to you...goodness knows what's up with that behavior.
    Try not to let it effect you - either in an angry response, or worse, having to answer to someone because the "Gas-Pole" is trying to undermine you with "Sheeeet Talk"!

That's about it!

You will really enjoy the experience! If the crews you work with are interested in the Sciences, man, you can explain the things that they are unsure of - and more!

There are a few tasks that are so redundant and boring, it's nearly mind numbing!
Light fixtures in T-bar ceilings is one such task. Boring enough to put speed freaks to sleep!
Roughing in for Receptacles is another task with a high anesthetic value!
Trim is less exciting than having an impacted tooth extracted!

I am over emphasizing these tasks' yawn levels, but nevertheless they are boring.

Good luck!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!