Earlydean
I do not require more than the Code. Existing installations that have not been permanently disconnected are "grandfathered". GFI's, and smoke detectors have a track record of saving lives. I can document that bare bulbs in closets cause fire. I consider those things basic safety and not "Code" items. That makes them easier to defend in court.
I do not disconnect houses. When they are disconnected I determine if they are safe enough to be reconnected. I cannot make anyone do anything. I can withold my approval.
My local ordinance requires a 100 amp. minimum service (since 1985) and enpowers me to do inspections. My decisions can be appealed to the Local Review Board or the Building Commissioner. If still not satisfied they can be appealed to the State. And there is always the courts. GFI's, battery smoke detectors and removing bare bulb fixtures in closets can be done by a homeowner. No license required.
I've been doing it this way for 25 years and while I've been called many names, "loser" after going to court, is not one of them. The liability of connecting a house without GFIs or Smokies if someone is shocked / killed or if there is a fire with injuries / death, far outweighs the potential of requiring too much. Which headline hurts the trade more; BUILDING INSPECTOR TOO STRICT; or FAMILY DIES AFTER HOUSE INSPECTED.
I still have over a dozen homes with 30 amp. services, but I know where they are, and someday when they are disconnected they will get upgraded or sit in the dark. Alan.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.