I have witnessed some weird things over the years. Some of the folks who installed/used the dangerous installations just don’t realize that they are lucky to be alive. What is the weiderest you have encountered?Here are a couple that stand out in my mind.
1. In Phoenix my co. was called to re-work some recessed fluorescents. The service dept got to the site and called me almost immediately. The fixtures were fed from an open JB with ONE wire. The KO on the fixtures was not removed, only partially bent open in order to allow the wire to enter. The neutral? was derived from the fixture contact with the grid and building steel. Further, the fixtures were 277V!
City inspector called=major rework in entire complex (3 buildings of 2 levels each).
2. Neighbor up the road asked me to look at his barn wiring. Seems that lights dimmed badly when he used electric chain saw. What I found: Zip cord tapped from 60A CB feeding grain bin motor. Zip fed 8-150 watt incandescents and a duplex and zip had been so hot that insulation crumbled when I touched it. Was rewired to code by licensed EC.
Rowdy